It's so nice to be in my bed, with two hot water bottles, a glass of good Cab Sav, a Podcast on, and lots of articles to read.
I will have a bath soon.
My last 5 weeks 6 days of deep Japanese baths.
p.s I really lost my rag today with the 4 students who have been the worst students I have ever taught, ever, in my hundreds of years of teaching in Japan.
I don't want them in my class.
I don't care that they don't care to study, but I do care that they disrupt the class.
I told them, 'If your parents are paying the school fees of your classmates, then disrupt away'.
I have given them so many chances.
I never hold a grudge.
I always try to work with the few 'delinquent' kids there are in Japan - and they are few and far between -because I used to be one of them.
And I'm usually able to turn them around.
But not these four students.
They had potential.
Kids with this kind of energy, if it's directed well, do better than the kids who are swotting up all the time.
Even my old geography teacher, when I went to see him about ten years ago, and who I caused so many problems for in class- always getting chucked out for being disruptive and so on -said,
'I knew you'd end up doing well, I knew you'd lead an interesting life.'
Bless.
But these students, they aren't like I was because when I was their age, that's when I decided to start being serious about studying, that's when I ran away from school and went and studied somewhere else.
I went from fail to A's and B's and then Manchester Uni.
These kids ......I dunno.
But I have given up on them.
And I don't usually do that.
I will have a bath soon.
My last 5 weeks 6 days of deep Japanese baths.
p.s I really lost my rag today with the 4 students who have been the worst students I have ever taught, ever, in my hundreds of years of teaching in Japan.
I don't want them in my class.
I don't care that they don't care to study, but I do care that they disrupt the class.
I told them, 'If your parents are paying the school fees of your classmates, then disrupt away'.
I have given them so many chances.
I never hold a grudge.
I always try to work with the few 'delinquent' kids there are in Japan - and they are few and far between -because I used to be one of them.
And I'm usually able to turn them around.
But not these four students.
They had potential.
Kids with this kind of energy, if it's directed well, do better than the kids who are swotting up all the time.
Even my old geography teacher, when I went to see him about ten years ago, and who I caused so many problems for in class- always getting chucked out for being disruptive and so on -said,
'I knew you'd end up doing well, I knew you'd lead an interesting life.'
Bless.
But these students, they aren't like I was because when I was their age, that's when I decided to start being serious about studying, that's when I ran away from school and went and studied somewhere else.
I went from fail to A's and B's and then Manchester Uni.
These kids ......I dunno.
But I have given up on them.
And I don't usually do that.
3 comments:
What's Japanese for "actions have consequences...and so do non-actions"?
Your students are presumably aware that you are buggering off, very likely permanently. The next Engrish teacher they get is liable to be less "fun"...no matter how dreamy.
So it's on them to carpe fuckin' diem, innit?
Example: My son has been told to not read while walking, as he tends to insufficiently check his vicinity when crossing roads.
At almost exactly the same age, so did I. So did my wife. We were *both* hit (mildly) by cars at age 10.
Let's hope his trip over the hood is as minor. I couldn't blame a driver, much as I'd like to, if my son wandered into an intersection. Alas, some lessons are dearer bought than others.
Maybe I should dress him in a "special" suit of foam PFD vest and bicycle helmet topped with little orange flag that reads "WARNING: INATTENTIVE". I am not above using mortification as a teaching tool.
Na, these kids only get one year of English Conv.
This is it.
Unless they join English Club next year.
I bet EC will be really popular if this teacher gets the job.
By contrast, I have two students this year.
They are a bit pathetic, never write down new words, but still, they come, so gotta give them credit where credit's due.
They are the 1% after all.
Your son needs to stop reading whilst walking, especially in this day and age of cell phone usage.
I'm sometimes guilty of walking and knitting, but I do watch where I'm going. I don't have to look at my knitting to knit.
Post a Comment