Thursday, February 2, 2012

let it snow let it snow let it snow

Taken from the 8th floor of my school building

Sorry about the pity pit post below but I'm not going to airbrush my feelings.
Instead I find it interesting to note how I feel and coming to an understanging regarding how I have coped with this year.

Yeah whatever, I'm lucky to have a job, to be on the cusp of ultimate freedom, or UF for short, I have my health (fingers crossed) and that my batteries are fine on the boat, that I am loved, albeit I don't know what  lies ahead regarding that side of things cos nothing is getting talked about re: my retirement, and so on, blah.


Working Monday to Friday, being a worker, also hits home every day, (we workers don't have much time to do things and when we do have time, on the weekends, we are most likely knackered ) and in many respects, this year has taught me, once again, that freedom is da bomb,(for me, at least) that work is a really weird thing to have to do for the bulk of our time on planet earth, and that, more than ever, I am proud of myself for plotting an early retirement.
Some kids having fun. I mentioned this snowball fight to a co-teacher , and that I thought that it was our jun. high kids, and he wasn't impressed. Message To Japan: Let kids have a little bit of fun sometimes. Onegaiiii!
I also understand that not having had children has also allowed me to free myself from work prematurely.
Snowballing round the bus

I was talking to the kids I went skiing with about this; I said that unless they were super rich, they should understand that life is gonna be a choice between having kids or not having kids - with two very different outcomes regarding how their lives will end up being lived.
Yeah, deep shit, but nobody else is gonna talk frankly to them like what I does.
Some stuffed toy project on a kid's desk that is probably gonna give me nightmares tonight

And yes, I agree, R, I should get out during my last days in Japan, and this is why I mentioned in the Cry Me A Koi Pond post below that I'm fine with 'new stuff', just not the trips down past blueprints much trod.
So yes, I will get out and about more.
Kazuyo's house this morning

I'm thinking of getting on a local train that is heading for the boondocks and then getting off somewhere and doing a bit of exploring.
View from my classroom window

Whatever. Who cares. This is just my stupid life being blogged about. I have no idea whatsoever why so many people read this crap.
Kids in Japan are responsible for cleaning the school. Cleaning duty is each day between 3.25 and 3.35

Anyway, when I woke up this morning, I was unaware that it had snowed last night until I opened my front door.

Everything looks so pretty so I took some photos.



5 comments:

Rhys said...

I think so many people read it, despite the often negative feedback you get (and certainly despite your appalling "blog abandonment issues") is because they care about your continued existence and the outcome of your choices.

Even though you can prattle on about the "freedom 44" concept in a not-so-secretly smug way, the fact remains that it's your idea to accomplish or to screw up. It's unusual, and a little brave to do the unexpected thing and to follow, essentially, your whims without having to metaphorically wear kneepads in order to obtain an illusory security.

I should know. I want to do largely what you say you want to do...and I have that kid. Unlike you, I don't mind having that kid, and the nature of the "BIG IDEA" going forward is that his presence will shape the form the BIG IDEA takes.

I'm cool with that.

I'm also cool with your determination not to pop a sprog. For all the reasons you'd probably make an exciting and fun aunt, I don't think you'd make a good mother, or rather, one that wouldn't end up a frustrating, abusive and probably alcoholic harpy.

Ahem.

The fact that you yourself expected that motherhood wasn't for you is a good thing. People should avoid those life projects they can't easily see enjoying. I shouldn't have minions. I would only work 'em to death, for instance. So I should just manage those things, like boats, that involve mostly just myself. I'm otherwise too hard to please and too ready to bust out the sarcasm.

This, of course, is perfect for sailing. Only the immensity of the ocean can (eventually) get me to shut up and listen.

So a bit of self-awareness, which a lot of people don't possess, can alienate others who sense they've made poor decisions in life, but are too emotionally invested in their cocoons to admit it.

Rhys said...

By the way, there is considerably more snow in your part of Japan than in my part of Canada. I could've stayed in the water with only a couple of days running a bubbler. But who knew that in November?

222 said...

Thanks for the reply, R.
As always, appreciated.
I feel honoured to have such a high bow as yourself amongst this readership.
I truly hope I don't disappoint when we finally get to meet.
I think I will.

Rhys said...

Only if you do that horrible Quasimodo crouch in most of your photos. I get the feeling someone called you "beanpole" the day you discovered your bits or something, and this accounts for *what I presume* is a relatively tallish woman hunching over like someone auditioning for the bell gig at Notre Dame.

So stand up, will you? heh.

Also, if you are sailing AJ at the time, how could I be disappointed? It's the bigger boat!

222 said...

I actually have really excellent posture and I'm always getting comments on how straight my back is, how good my posture is.

I'm not living my day 24/7 crouched down taking photos of myself.

My mother taught me to have good deportment.
'Stand up straight'
Not a hunch in my world, not one hunch.