Sorry I haven't been writing much but I've suddenly started to feel overwhelmed with the end being nigh, plus I'm also sorting out various things in My Little Empire while I have a reliable address I can use.
I just popped to http://againstallcods2.blogspot.com/ for a little trip down Memory Bay and realise that I had so much going for me and it was a shame that love was fcking with my head the entire time.
One of the reasons I feel a bit overwhelmed right now is that I want 200% guaranteed happiness upon retirement - this year has been hell in my head - and this stresses me somewhat when I think about how to achieve this.
Enough.
I have it good regardless.
I am going to be free at 43.
I was thinking to myself this morning, as I sat in the Morning Meeting at school, that being able to quit work at 43 is pretty awesome, and that had I not fallen in love and had just stayed out there, on the boat, possibly having completed at least 2 circumnavigations since 2007 by now (bwahahahahahahaha), that I would have eventually wound up like many other sailors(I'm not a sailor yet, I realise that) who got hit hard by the economic downturn, and either had to sell their vessels, or go back to work to refresh the cruising kitty.
I would have had to do this -work again -because I relied a lot on the powerful pound, and then all of a sudden my sterling halved in value, and I was like, 'wtf', so yah, I would more than likely have done a year here and there since 2008, with or without this love thing serving as a weird fcking catalyst for work.
In other news (and this is why I love FB because it has put me in touch with my best mates from junior/high school), my old friend shared a memory with me this morning regarding my mother.
It made me laugh, so I will share it here, but before I do, I want to say that I remember wayyyyyyyyyy less about my school years, than my friends do, and I think this is because I use too many commas and I didn't have a happy time at home - I was often hit, I was always walking on eggshells, and I had a beast for a half-sister who I had to take care of most of the time - so I think I suppressed my memories, which means that I have very few memories from that time in my life- apart from ones that stand out, like being chased up the road by my mother who was brandishing Grampy's 'Woods of New Zealand' ruler (which is on the boat now) - so being reminded about things that happened during my early years, especially when they include anecdotes about my mother, is really nice.
Anyway, here goes.
I just popped to http://againstallcods2.blogspot.com/ for a little trip down Memory Bay and realise that I had so much going for me and it was a shame that love was fcking with my head the entire time.
| Shiraz of SOMF |
One of the reasons I feel a bit overwhelmed right now is that I want 200% guaranteed happiness upon retirement - this year has been hell in my head - and this stresses me somewhat when I think about how to achieve this.
| December 2010 |
Enough.
I have it good regardless.
I am going to be free at 43.
I was thinking to myself this morning, as I sat in the Morning Meeting at school, that being able to quit work at 43 is pretty awesome, and that had I not fallen in love and had just stayed out there, on the boat, possibly having completed at least 2 circumnavigations since 2007 by now (bwahahahahahahaha), that I would have eventually wound up like many other sailors(I'm not a sailor yet, I realise that) who got hit hard by the economic downturn, and either had to sell their vessels, or go back to work to refresh the cruising kitty.
I would have had to do this -work again -because I relied a lot on the powerful pound, and then all of a sudden my sterling halved in value, and I was like, 'wtf', so yah, I would more than likely have done a year here and there since 2008, with or without this love thing serving as a weird fcking catalyst for work.
| I'm never far from my enema bag |
It made me laugh, so I will share it here, but before I do, I want to say that I remember wayyyyyyyyyy less about my school years, than my friends do, and I think this is because I use too many commas and I didn't have a happy time at home - I was often hit, I was always walking on eggshells, and I had a beast for a half-sister who I had to take care of most of the time - so I think I suppressed my memories, which means that I have very few memories from that time in my life- apart from ones that stand out, like being chased up the road by my mother who was brandishing Grampy's 'Woods of New Zealand' ruler (which is on the boat now) - so being reminded about things that happened during my early years, especially when they include anecdotes about my mother, is really nice.
| Never kayak to the stinky fishing village at low tide. You'll get stuck |
Anyway, here goes.
I do remember your mum giving us a lift once in that old Renault she had. The one with the gear stick in the middle of the dash. I think she was only taking us from yours to my house and she reversed the car up the pavement into a wall. Doesn't help when you're drinking! You were mortified and dragged us both out the car refusing to go anywhere with her. God we had some events didn't we. Youth club in our leg warmers. The 80's were the best.Awww. Thanks Jo for the memory.x
11 comments:
I agreed with your comments.
Gosh I know the boat on your main page photo. Drive past it everyday. Do you live in Gamagori?
Sorry, not snooping just reading up on some blogs and came across yours.
Fi, Gamagori
I live in Okazaki but am only 10 mins from the 'gori on the JR line.
You must live in Gamagori then.
Only 14 hours from LA, well, that's how they used to advertise it in an old brochure years ago.
It's a small world, eh!
Are you teaching here?
You have a car though, you must be a director of a company or something.
;)
Those Renaults were called 2CVs ("deux cheveaux", i.e. "two horsepower"=French irony). They kept the same design for decades. I rode in a '64 2CV in 1981 in Cornwall on my way to a cider-fuelled midnight surf party (I was but a smooth-cheeked lad). We had to get out and walk for certain slopes, as the weight of the boards practically killed the feeble thing.
Did yours have the terrible fake leather "sunroof"? Bad choice in England, that.
Oh, shit...it's Citroen that made the 2CVs...can you tell a car has to be appalling for me to notice it's even got four wheels?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2CV
I have no clue what an '80s Renault looks like, but it was probably even worse than a Golf, a car best seen on fire.
Please ignore the unrelated anecdote.
R
It was older than the 80's.
It was from the 70's and I think it was an old Pueguot.(sp)
Brown.
How does a coffee enema actually work!?!? I'm so intrigued!!
Hello,
Yup living in Gamagori and working not too far from that old shipwreck. Unfortunately not a company director but not a teacher either. General office dogsbody for family business.
Been in Gamagori nearly eight years, Japan 12. Yikes.
Like Okazaki though, must be nice to have other foreigners around?
Corrine: It works by gravity.
Fi
Re: the foreigners, there used to be heaps of them, when Mitsubishi had them over, plus the JETS, and there were some good years here (I've been here, on and off, for about 10 years) but it's changed, and all the for. I see are miserable buggers who don't smile or say hi, seriously, I am sooooooooo shocked at how unfriendly they are, especially after living in friendly Mexico for so long, where people smile even if fixing a flat in 40 degree heat, PLUS, I currently live in a residence, that's what they call it, full of foreigners who are studying Japanese, and I thought we'd be partying and so on, but nuffin', barely even a nod.
Wanna meet in Gama?
;)
I can be your foreigner.
Actually, I might come down this weekend, get one of those ECO bikes you can rent for free in front of the station, so if you see a gaijin on a 'powered mama charin', you'll know it's me.
Corrine
Do a search for benefits of coffee enemas...it's all there. I might even 'bump' up an old ACER post on them.
Just for you, and some recent converts.
Post a Comment