Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Waking up early sucks.
Still, I'm awake now so I think I'll turn the huge chunk of pork loin, that I slow cooked yesterday, into a big soup.
It will then cool and I can skim the fat off the top because I have noticed that pork is very fatty and I don't want to eat all that fat. Up until the past month or two, I have rarely eaten pork in Japan, and I thank my lucky stars that I have avoided it up till now, because unless you let it cool before eating it, you will forever remain oblivious to just how much fat is in pork, even if it looks lean. I'm going to stop eating pork, actually, it has quite surprised me just how fatty it is, after being more of a fan of  lean chicken this past couple of decades, than any other meat on offer in Japan.

3 comments:

Rhys said...

Oops, I appear to be reading backwards.

222 said...

I like your idea of pouring water over it and then waiting for it to cool - after cooking it, I am presuming.

Rhys said...

Indeed. Won't work otherwise.

My mum used to make gravy by pouring the precious "juices" out of the roasting pan into a bowl and lobbing in a few ice cubes and lobbing said bowl into the freezer. About 30 minutes later, she would skim off the fat and "extend" the remaining stock with some Bisto. The gravy was not like glue, but was largely clear (OK, brown but clear). I really don't know what's in "typical" gravy.