Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Buzzards Rarely Eat Hares These Days

Nails by Salon Distressed
Seriously folks, pork is terribly fatty. Uh.
Check out all that fat in the photo above.
Anyway, I've turned it into a soup.
I added a jar of 'Provencale' Pasta Sauce bought for the crazy cheap price of a buck the other day. I got 4 jars because they were on special. This kind of addition to soups and stews is the Ferrari of tinned tomatoes or FOTT for short.
I shredded the pork



 I then added some diced red and yellow peppers (bought for cheap and frozen for times like this) - fresh basil, cayenne pepper and a teaspoon or two of freshly ground coriander.

 I will then allow the soup to cool and once more skim the fat from the top.

I think this is the last time I will purchase pork. I am quite surprised at the fat density of this meat, and will stick to chicken, and sometimes beef, instead.

2 comments:

Rhys said...

Cook the pork in the crock pot with a cup of water.

Cover, and let cool.

Put covered pot in freezer or coldest part of the fridge. After several hours, skim off the fat, which will have risen to the surface.

Congratulations, you've now got lean pork to cook with. Same principle as a fuel-water separator, really.

judith said...

Is this a pork loin? That's always leaner than a pork roast. I cook mine in the La CruFakesette in the oven all day on 250F. I just salt and pepper it, throw in a onion and pour a Dr. Pepper over it. Then I remove it from this liquid and shred it in another pan, add BBQ sauce. We like things with BBQ sauce around here. I think I'll make this tomorrow.