Monday, December 5, 2011

Fushigii ('Twilight Zone' in Japanese)

January 1st 2009

I have been meaning to ask him to send me this photo for ages.
I really like it and it reminds of the good times, before all the stupid times happened.
Anyway, out of the blue, he sent it to me today.
Out of thousands of pics he has of us on our travels, he sent this one.
It perked me up, because when these kinds of coincidences happen, it gives me hope that we were meant to be together after all, because lately I find myself wondering if I'm still cut out for love, given that I have wandered alone in No Man's Land for so long this year, and last year, and the year before.

Koi pond alert.

Anyway, this was a great trip down to Miyajima. Those are the hills of Hiroshima in the distance.
The red torii gate belongs to Ituskushima Shrine, first erected in the 6th century.


A gate has been here since 1168 but the current gate dates back to 1865.

It's pretty awesome, huh, which is what the Samurais used to say,
"Rook at that gate! It's awesome!'
Funnily enough, the shrine itself is dedicated to the Shinto deity of seas and storms.

I will return.
Hopefully full of love again because I have been treading a thin blue line between choosing a life alone, or a life with love. I want the love but only if I am truly happy.
Receiving the above photo this afternoon, after I had been secretly reminiscing about it, has given me renewed hope that we can make it work.

Anyway, enough of the soppy stuff.

So this student chick asked me to coach her about 'home life in the UK' because she was going to listen to a lecture on it as part of the entrance test for the university she wants to go to and would have to write a paper on it afterwards.

She therefore thought that if she could talk to me about the UK before the test, she'd stand a better chance.
All in all we chatted for a total of 3 hours this past 3 weeks.
England this, England that, more England this, traipsing dog pooh into the house, and so on.

She took the test on Saturday.
The lecture turned out to be on 'Why Americans Are Fat Bastards.' I am not kidding.
She said to me, 'They talked about all the fatty and sugary food Americans eat and how millions are obese'.
I set her straight though, I said, 'That's not fat. It's muscle.'
But back to the 3 hours I spent talking about the F.UK to this student, and how I had a feeling that the coaching session would turn out to be pretty pointless, but not this pointless.

It reminds me of my own interview at Manchester University, for a degree in American Studies, where the Professor asked me to talk about the North-South divide and I launched into a Brighton vs Leeds monologue.
He stopped me and asked, 'Which degree are you actually applying to major in?'
Doh.


6 comments:

Rhys said...

You aren't kidding when you attest to occasional periods of dimness, are you?

"Eee by gum, tha South shall rise again? Not bluddy likely, mate!" (said like Curly from Corrie).

I suppose the freeing of the slaves was when they stopped confining Man U . supporters to cages at the far ends? Magic, that.

Sidebar: Back in my TV critic days, I interviewed the actor who played Mike Baldwin. He's the size of a large doll.

Anonymous said...

he's dead actually

222 said...

We all have to go sometime.
Ah, I see he passed on in 2006. That was one of my former Years of Freedom, or YOF for short, when I didn't bother with the news on the whole in that, I didn't use the computer for anything but to blog and email, and then got back to living.
I LOVE years like that. Indeed, this shall become a blog post, to get the point home.

222 said...

He he he he R.

Rhys said...

Well, the *character* is dead, yes, but the actor's still breathing.

Whew. For a moment, I thought Curly had died.

Wait, someone's been buggering about with the actor's Wiki entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Kennedy_%28actor%29

Baked beans? How cruel.

Rhys said...

The first time I heard about Tori Amos (the big gate in the water is called a "torii"), I thought I heard "Torrid Anus" and was being informed that there was a very talented singing penis I should listen to.

"Something novel in pornography?" I asked.

Portentious silence descended, I can tell you.