Friday, December 16, 2011

Dammit Anon

There I was feeling all good about life, feeling so amazing as a person, when anon has to go and ruin it with a snide comment.
Dammit anon!
Listen. It is a fact, sadly, that I do teach a good class.
This is because I don't take myself seriously.
Holy Cow, I have observed some classes in my time here, taught by other foreigners, and they should come with a box of matches, not only to burn the prep notes made for each page of the textbook to be studied, but to aid and abet in the keeping open of one's eyelids.
I'll say no more. Just get over it. My kids get a lot of bang for their classroom buck.

As I cycled to school today, I turned the world into micro, honing in on the individual sound each person I passed on my bike was creating.
The elementary school girl with the tinkling bell on her school bag.
The rustle of the plastic bag of rubbish a salary man was carrying to the rubbish collection point.
The policeman's whistle. Like wtf was that about today! 3 policeman at one intersection. Whistle overkill or what!

And that's it I guess, cos then I got distracted from playing the Micro Sound Game, and instead starting thinking about the camera I am going to buy today, having renegaded on going to get it last night because I was still a tad hungover from the day before, and well, yeah, bring on some decent photos finally.
I'll probably do some 'sightseeing' on the morrow with it. Take a long bike ride to nowhere, see where I end up.

I popped into the convenience store en route today - the small one downtown - where I always make sure to pass the time of day with the two ladies on the morning shift, you know, channeling 'village' into a city of 300,000, and this morning they asked me if I'd be interested in teaching a private English class because one of their regular customers was talking about wanting to learn English, so they thought of me, Miss Friendly Foreigner, and I replied,' Bring it on' and 'I can't wait to light the fireworks I bought here for half-price yesterday this coming weekend'.
Nesbit and Del Mar

Yep, you can buy fireworks from just about any store in Japan.
So I bought some Giant Sparklers yesterday, as one does.
I remember the good old days, when there were quite a few Aussie and American engineers for Mitsubishi in the 'hood and how they'd go wild with fireworks, what with coming from countries where they are either illegal or hard to get.

I started my fast today and this chocolate tastes soooooooooooo good.

Well, that's all for now. Gonna take my amazing teacher self into the classroom to teach the Little Children.
It's Friday, yiphee, and half days next week, then holiday.





8 comments:

Anonymous said...

From Anon2 = Not the mean one you refer to. This dear reader is hoping you might someday Google Earth View your location or school or something and post a screen shot of the area... would be fun. Troublesome though......

Rhys said...

She's somewhere south-south-west of the glowy, killy bit.

222 said...

He he he, R.

The reason I haven't given the co-ordinates for where I live in the past, is because there are obviously some people who read this blog who don't like me, and I really don't want to be on their radar, cos they might come and kill me for being a pontificating git about early retirement and so on.

222 said...

..but I'll consider it...

Rhys said...

You've already said in the past what city you were in, you know. I don't remember it because I have no plans to break up my winter spending 10 grand to come over and buy you a beer (sorry!), but I do remember the letter it starts with.

You may also have posted a map. I tend to remember maps...part of that whole "gotta boat" thing.

Anyone who wanted to find you could just ask a traffic cop "hey, where does that crazy gaijin on a bike live? The one that hums very loudly when you blow your whistle at her?"

222 said...

I thought when folks wanted to google where you are, it meant they wanted your street address and so on.
I live in Okazaki. Google it.

222 said...

p.s I haven't got into google earth because I don't have enough pixels to make it worth it, but do love it as a tool for doing reconnaissance on coastlines and bays, however, like I said, the kind of computer I have right now, sucks pixel-wise, so I just don't go there, even though I'd like to.

Rhys said...

Google earth is handy the way pilot charts are handy: they give you an overview and sometimes you can actually see the usual wave patterns.

That's how I understood how Hermanus is somewhat exposed and the coast is basically jagged rocks. The YC is also strictly small boat, by the look of it as the river mouth is essentially a big sand bar. I doubt you'd ever get seven feet of calm water over that bar, so I doubt we could ever get in there.

Where G.E. gets dodgy is when it's used for general navigation. Without charted depths, it's useless, but if you have a OLD chart and they've built a new pier, say, G.E. will show this in its "historical" feature and you can use it for planning and hand-draw the new pier on the old chart. Preferably with the word "AVOID".