Friday, December 16, 2011

the camera has landed and Ms Massage update

I've never seen a student try to erase something so quickly and completely as I witnessed Miss Massage erase her opinion on my class/personality, plus my reply to her opinion on my class/personality, which ended with a 'I will try harder to be a better teacher. Thanks.'

She nearly burnt through the desk, she was erasing it so quickly and so hard.
I didn't give her any kind of 'look', indeed, I acted as if nothing had happened.

It was enough knowing that she felt like crap for having been identified as The Massager.
The look on her face was a picture.
The best word to describe it would be shock.

I then changed the seating arrangements and put her at the front, albeit near the door - so as far from the heater as possible - and she actually studied for once, instead of ignoring me, chatting to her friends, and using my class time to do homework for other classes.

Whilst it doesn't bother me to have had this kid let her opinion of the class be known, I do hope that this incident makes her think twice about her attitude towards the kid who she continues to bully.
If this shock to her system nips that in the bud, then it will all have been worth it.

And in other news, I just popped out to cycle the half hour there, half hour back, to the store to pick up my new camera.
I love it.
It was a nice bike ride, too.
It's a really breezy day with some strong gusts.
Indeed, when I returned to the bike after buying the camera, I had to scour the entire car park looking for my gloves that had blown out of the bike basket. 
Even though the gloves only cost a buck, I really wanted to find them because they are so soft, warm and have long wrists.

After 10 minutes I found the gloves.
Yeah.
On the way back to school, I took the route alongside the small river, which flooded in 2008, causing some houses to subside into the river.
Since then major work has been done to widen the river, and all the riverside houses have been razed - boo hoo - so there was a lot of action going on, with huge diggers and cranes.
But my point here is that my favourite people in Japan are the road workers 'roudosha' in Japanese because they are friendly, feral looking, and frequent the traditional 'yatais' - outdoor shack bars - which sadly, boo fcking hoo, have been removed from beneath the train tracks in this town, which is a huge downer for me because one of the things I love about Japan are the yatais.
Modernisation sucks.
Bring back the traditional before it's all crappy sports bars. 

3 comments:

Chris said...

That girl needed some "cooling off" time ;)

Good on you for giving a fuck. Most don't. Teaching the easy way or the hard way....it's up to the kids which way I go and I tell em' that.

Rhys said...

Some modernization sucks...unless your next blog entry will be on slips of washi paper done in tiny ink letters and distributed by flaming arrow.

The pho soup made me hungry for pho soup. I live equidistantly from a great Vietnamese place and my favourite Chinese restaurant. The same people have been there for 30 years, which I know as I found the place as a student. The food is cheap, abundant and much nicer looking than the decor, which is minimal when it isn't tacky and maybe a little dirty (i.e. "full of character").

The Vietnamese place is far more current, if by "current", you mean chrome and mirror fixtures salvaged from a 1983 penthouse condo. But the pho is great.

222 said...

Yes, some, I guess I should be more detailed.