Monday, December 19, 2011

The advantages of living in a 'shima guni' or Island Nation

I felt like crap this afternoon after stupidly splurging on some Stilton.
I've never spent 498 yen on cheese in Japan. Ever. 498 yen is about $5. What was I thinking!!?
But I couldn't resist.
Stilton is Christmas In A Cheese.
Lunch. Salad. Stilton. Apple. Fresh Basil.

I eventually felt better about the stupid cheese purchase when I remembered how close to death I'd come last night in the dream about the jack knifed yellow pepper.



Later on I decided to cycle to the bus station, to see what time the airport bus leaves, but I didn't make it to the bus station because a Thrift shop distracted me.
I wound up scoring the Score Of The Year.

A large bottle - 14ml - of COCO CHANEL Parfum.
Yes, the PARFUM.
Not the eau de no.
This is the real thing.
COCO reminds me of my first two years at uni, hanging out with a tall, leggy beautiful chick who always wore it.

It had a 950 yen price tag on it.
I was like, 'WTF, that's cheaper than the crappy Baby Doll next to it'.
I imagined that the 950 yen was for the box only, that it was actually an empty box, because there is no way you can get 'parfum' for $10.
Neau way!
An urban sunset
I decided to ask the assistant to open the glass case.
I removed the perfume, opened it, and HOLY COW, not only was the bottle full, but it had never been opened, indeed, it still had the waxy paper seal on it.
This perfume usually retails at over $200! Which is why I've never bought it before, just 'tested' it at different airports around the world.
My bike is my friend. I love it.

Yeah, yeah, I know, whatever, it's only perfume, but just because I have a boat and I buy things like plough anchors, tenders, chain and LED bulbs, it doesn't mean that I have to testosterone my life. I am woman. Hear me roar.

I then treated myself to my favourite dessert wine and some Prosciutto that was on special for 200 yen.
Because it's Christmas and I suppose I can.
What a coincidence. Farming Today is talking about how a stupid EU (entirely useless) Law means that the village of Stilton in the UK, can't call their Stilton cheese Stilton.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to be so pro-EU but it's just a chance for
Crappy countries with a tenuous link to democracy
To try and tell us what to do.

Anonymous said...

I'd rather splurge on good cheese than buy the crap they sell at the supermarkets in Japan. You only need a tiny amount of the good stuff so it saves money in the long run :)

Rhys said...

My late mother used to wear an equally venerable fragrance called "Arpege". Because she'd only buy it at the duty-free, I called it "airport perfume" as a nipper, because I associated the smell with going to the (very exciting for the wee lad I once was) loud and otherwise stinky airport.

No idea if it was supposed to be a luxury item, only that it was my mum's favourite, and she didn't restock very often.

I have to wonder if it's counterfeit, however. Sounds too good to be true. If it is real, you benefit from some human...or chain of humans...screwing up. Mazeltov!

Rhys said...

I do like a nice smoked gouda, a glass of vintage port and some walnuts this time of year.

Whether I get it is an entirely different thing.