Other scores today were these 'dokomodake' mini towels that I got for 20 yen each or around 30 cents a pop.
I don't care what's on them - in this case, they look like willies - but I can't have enough 'mini towels' when traveling.
They are perfect for mopping up the sweat when going tropical, drying hands, wiping hands instead of the disgusting peasant habit of licking fingers, and so on.
When in Water World they are the perfect size to stuff down one's cleavage and come in so handy, especially after a hot row across the bay.
Oh, how I dream of being marooned on my boat in the middle of the bay.
I definitely(yes, I used spellcheck) want to pop to Mexico this vacation - just for a few days - because the trip is so easy by bus and I want to SEE my boat.
Well, time for my evening coffee enema, then a bath, then sleep.
I don't care what's on them - in this case, they look like willies - but I can't have enough 'mini towels' when traveling.
They are perfect for mopping up the sweat when going tropical, drying hands, wiping hands instead of the disgusting peasant habit of licking fingers, and so on.
When in Water World they are the perfect size to stuff down one's cleavage and come in so handy, especially after a hot row across the bay.
Oh, how I dream of being marooned on my boat in the middle of the bay.
I definitely(yes, I used spellcheck) want to pop to Mexico this vacation - just for a few days - because the trip is so easy by bus and I want to SEE my boat.
Well, time for my evening coffee enema, then a bath, then sleep.
9 comments:
I'm not sure you've seen enough willies.
Or it's been so long, your memory's clouded.
Concur on little towels, however. Good for plugging inconvenient holes, too, while you find the proper thing.
That's a good idea, r, re: temporary plugs for holes. I'll keep these handy on the boat. Along with the wooden plugs, of course.
Well, a hole on a concrete boat is liable to be fatal unless you can run it up on a reef, dry it out and patch it with quick-set.
God knows how you'd keep quick-set from hardening in sea air...maybe a sealed plastic pail?
Yeah, like you can weld your boat in the water?
I guess if it was holed to cause a problem, it would be time to get a spare sail out.
Actually, like any good skipper, I Have a Plan For That.
You can either purchase an umbrella sort of thing that you push through the hopefully less than fist-sized hole gushing horrible sea, open it, and water pressure more or less seals the hole, or you can chuck a cushion in the hole and shore up a piece of handy plywood (which you should have in various sizes for this contingency). Then you can fother a sail and be on your way to the nearest drydock.
Truth is, I'll carry enough plate and basic welding equipment to do a rough fix if I can find the appropriate tidal range.
If I'm not prepared to be resourceful, I should decline to contemplate the voyage.
I like the idea of that umbrella thing. Brilliant idea.
He he he, I sure have plenty of cushions.
Yup, I keep lots of wood under the bed in the A Cabin. God, I love my boat and how much space it has to stow stuff. I haven't even touched The Cave yet but there is so much space in there to be utilised eventually. It would be a good place to store some tinned goods, balance out the boat a bit, too, given that the water and fuel tanks are on the same side. Doh.
Low, flat plastic lidded boxes, like the kind practical Swedes have to use the space under their beds for clothes storage, are great ways to stow gear and provisions inside lockers. They keep things tightly packed and free of chafe, and the lids lessen corrosion, esp. if you chuck in those little bags of silica to lower the humidity.
Another tip is that labels will NOT survive; label in ink what the tins contain and when they were purchased and/or when the contents expire.
I can send you an Excel file for provision you can modify for this purpose. It has colour codes for "running low" that you could copy for "getting old...eat soon".
Now you may make a focus of eating fresh food...a good thing...but it's not always possible, and you may find a middle ground with "home canning" (mason jars of pickled veggies, cheese stored in olive oil) so this aspect of boat housekeeping goes a bit beyond stowing 80 packets of curry roux. At any given time, we will be carrying four to six months' worth of food, minus fresh fish and "island chicken". But you too will likely, on passage, be cycling through a ridiculous amount of food, wine, coffee for both ends, and supplies, some of which themselves are perishable.
So keeping a printed or a computer log (both, maybe!) of what you have and, most importantly, *where it's kept*, becomes the only way to manage your already boat-friendly habits.
I was on a boat of many cubbies that had little Dymo-tape labels on every lid and hatch, each with a number. I noticed it went well past one hundred. Another way, if you have a more or less symmetrical boat, would be a simple code: PG3 would be the third galley locker on the port side.
Hell, I've written a blog post again. Curse this 100 wpm typing!
p.s Thanks r for the info on provisioning. We must have read the same books/book on this.
Fortunately, by now, and after the reading I myself have done, I am well aware that I won't be able to pop out for 'fresh' food once really going for it, well aware, and that we have to change how we look at perishables, especially on my boat, which will never have a freezer on it.
re: plastic boxes - I have a lot of those on the boat, albeti small, and want to get more. Have been looking for the perfect set-up for the space in the shower, as I don't intend to ever use the shower as a shower.
p.s Yeah, love the idea of labeling the hatches. I did that, inside the lid etc before, and then wrote what was in them and also in a book, and I was just in the bay. LOL.
But will employ that once really going for it. It saves a lot of time when looking for something.
Post a Comment