I think I'll post a few old pics whilst my food goes down and before I have a coffee enema and a lingering bath.
To go out, or not go out?
I just don't have the mojo.
I think I'll just cuddle up to my 'yutampo'.
By the way, I found a bright light for my in-house constellation system, so now I have galaxies galore on my ceiling and walls.
It's pretty cool.
Okay, here goes.
Some memories. Just to remind myself that I used to lead a really full and blessed life and that I can have it all again pretty soon. No wonder nothing here entices me. Water World and freedom is a hard act to follow.
 |
| My first, and hopefully last, tow. He he he he. What a day! |
 |
| This helped me get over The Day |
 |
| The culprit |
 |
| My legs get so toned in Water World. Going up and down the ladder, the companionway steps, and so on. |
 |
| I lost my gloves the first time I used them to row Vader. Boo hoo. Left in a bar somewhere. |
 |
| This was one of AJ's best sails. Perfect conditions, perfect cocktails, perfect friends. |
 |
| Margaritas!! |
 |
Manuel was on the Spanish America's Cup crew. Awesome sailor and maker of paella. Good times.
Sara introduced me to Mojitos. |
 |
| The boat yard on The Other Side of town. This was taken after I helped Whisky Charlie sail over to this yard to be hauled out. Ted's 1926 Alden in the background. |
 |
| Thor's pad |
 |
| The doomed first sail when I was the skipper |
3 comments:
Halyard on the main's a little loose, Perkins.
Also, wtf with the unattached, sort of just lying there battery cable? You're lucky the thing didn't burst into flames.
Other than that, it looked like a fabulous adventure.
I noticed that about the halyard, too.
He he he. Felt ashamed to post the pic but that was the day I was having a hard time dropping the sail, uh, doh, because I didn't release the sheet.
Yeah, that battery cable caused the short, which meant I had to get towed back, and boy oh boy,I learned alot for that trip. Got nice new batteries now, which reminds me, I'd better contact the marina to go top them up.
Part of me wants to pop to Mexico this winter vacation, with my dude, drive down there, check on the boat, but we shall see.
Well, I will decline to comment on "your dude" for the moment, but popping in to service the boat is an excellent idea. If you spend plenty on batteries, you should give them a drink of distilled water and a nice two days' worth of equalization charge to keep them healthy.
I had, with a sailing pal, my last sail of the season today. November 4 in Toronto is quite late as most local boats are hauled for the winter and demasted, winterized, etc., as the night temperatures can go below 0C. I am hauling next Wednesday as freezing isn't expected, so I took the boat out today.
So the last sail of my season was, somewhat unexpectedly due to the honking great high pressure system above Lake Ontario, a bit of a howler. I saw close to 20 knots apparent with nonetheless flat seas because all the wind was coming off the land and was weirdly gusty, probably due to urban heating. The 24 hour Toronto Island record said "8 kilometres of wind, gusting 30".
Well, try and pick a sail for that. We were either crawling under a full main and a No. 2 or we were on our ears at 30 degrees over. Great, technical sailing, however. I was able to luff way up into the wind during the puffs, as the whole "apparent wind" thing was obvious: as we picked up speed, I could steer 20 degrees to windward and thus reduce the number of tacks I had to make the channel to Toronto's inner harbour.
But I insisted, as I rarely do, that we and my pal both wear PFDs. There was NO ONE on the lake except us (not surprising at the air temperature was 8 C despite the full sun). The water's about 9C, I guess, having had a few drops and splashes land on me from the bow. The fact is that even a fit person could be "shocked" into a daze or unconsciousness if they fell in, never mind get hauled out, and the weird, gusty wind meant the boat was getting headed constantly and heeling very rapidly without much warning from the sea state.
I don't always wear a PFD in the summer, but spring and fall I do pretty religiously. I haven't seen a need to wear a tether on Lake Ontario, but I have several aboard, and I sure as hell wouldn't be typing this had I not been wearing on on the Atlantic Ocean in 40 knots of "surprise" wind in the middle of the night.
Now, I think the type of tether, and more importantly, the ease with which one can release from a D-ring, is up for debate, but not the use of a tether at all. That's like saying you don't use a seatbelt because you can never find the damn big red square button on the latch mechanism.
Post a Comment