Friday, November 4, 2011

i am japanese

Cleaning duty.

Me: Hi!
Student: Tee hee
Me: What's your name?
Student: Tee hee
Me: You are Cinderella because you are cleaning.
Student: Tee hee
Me: Cinderella cleans every day
Student: (said in Japanese) "I don't understand English"
Me: What year are you? (said in Japanese)
Student: 2 yr high school (in Japanese)
Me: So this is your 6th year of studying English and you still can't understand simple questions(said in Japanese)
Student: I am Japanese. I don't need English. (said in Japanese)

Vivre CHINA!!!! You have ZERO competition from my students, that's for sure.

2 comments:

222 said...

I cannot believe how entrenched this 'I am Japanese' 'This is Japan' default response to reasoning why they don't need English, still is.
Nothing has changed since 1992. Indeed, they seem more adamant than ever to flip the finger at English.
Just t'other day a kid answered, 'Japan' as the country he'd most like to visit - go figure - citing, 'I am Japanese' as the reason. What the fck are they watching on TV!!!!

Rhys said...

Domestic stuff, I would imagine. Ask them to shout "Banzai!" for giggles.

I heard the Japanese once described as "Asia's Americans", which sounded crazy until one considered how parochial and unworldly they are and how prone they've been in the last 120 years to "foreign adventures" of the military or fiscal kind.