Friday, November 4, 2011

Creeping Through The Day

I believe that germs get easily spread by all the teachers leaving their coffee and tea cups rim-side down on the drainage counter next to the sink. This act negates all the anal mouth gargling 10 times over that gets done after each class by many of the teachers (which is then spat into the communal sink) Leaving cups face down also makes the wearing of face masks seem a little pointless. I never leave my cup on the drainage counter. Ever. I don't get colds.
Picnic in the park - Istanbul

I also think that my misery this year is a gift to the students because they don't see my misery, instead they get to experience me absolutely loving their company, which means that I am a complete goof in their classes, making them laugh, not caring if I look 'crazy', as some kids have started to label me, and well, the extreme loneliness I feel outside of school hours, translates into Big Fun for the kids.
So it's not a total waste of a year and they are damn lucky they got a teacher like me for their 'Eikawa' year, than the usual, 'I am from America and I will spend hours of my time making pointless flashcards for you' kind of teacher.
Sunset on the beach in Turkey
Yeah, whatever.
Many teachers spend at least $3 a day putting money in the machine that gives you cups of coffee or tea or soft drinks. I think this is a stupid waste of money. I am the only teacher in school who makes her own coffee with a plunger pot. I save a lot of money this way and my coffee tastes way better than machine coffee.

My front door in Turkey
In other news, what shall I do this weekend? I am not sure. The most important thing is to find motivation. 
Using Grampy's grey sock, and a red sock I found in the garden in Japan, to hide the fact that we were drinking beer in public during Ramadam in Istanbul.

Last night in Ozdere with my Love Bird friends

Next Friday is this city's Annual Concert put on by the local private schools, including this school. The teacher who sits next to me is organising it.
HE IS SO BUSY.
It is affecting his health. He takes anti-reflux powder zillions of times a day. He eats a lot of bread goods so is bigger than your average Japanese but he's a lovely guy who I'm fond of. Anyway, he's run off his feet with this concert deal. I told him that he should have kept his love of music secret, then he wouldn't have been chosen to organise this year's event.
The concert lasts all day - like from 9am till 4:30pm - and I, for one, refuse to sit through all of it, it's inhumane to have to be at a concert for so many hours, so will leave at lunchtime.

Recently 2 tonnes of weed was found floating in Mexican waters and crack was discovered in Antarctica. I am always in the wrong place at the wrong time.
"New Libya"? Pah!


I think I'll go for a bike ride after this next class. It's a nice day out there.

Istanbul train station








1 comment:

Rhys said...

I read "anal mouth gargling" and thought "hell, I've *really* wandered into the wrong blog this time."

Although after the discussion of sexy earwax digging, I am prepared to believe that almost anything will turn on a Japanese if it doesn't actually involve copulation.