We hired a moped a couple of times to explore the area near my flat and often followed signs indicating some ruin or other. It's pretty awesome how there's still so much to be discovered in Turkey, indeed, so much that quite often such ruins have signs but have been pretty much left 'as found', like the above pic shows.
I like random ruins, off the tourist beat, they are fun to walk around, imagining what happened for them to have fallen down, and almost always coming to the conclusion that their demise was somewhat quake-related.
I like random ruins, off the tourist beat, they are fun to walk around, imagining what happened for them to have fallen down, and almost always coming to the conclusion that their demise was somewhat quake-related.
2 comments:
At 19, on a cool and rainy and generally typical North of England summer's day, I had nearly all of Hadrian's Wall that I could see utterly to myself.
Since then, I've discovered that any number of smaller stone circles and less charming wrecked abbeys can offer a solitary tour if you are willing to ride the bike a couple of miles. Which I have usually been willing to do.
I need to go there! I wanted to go to Greece but I don't know about that anymore. Why should I go to a country that almost as screwed as my own?
Post a Comment