Yesterday I wrote to my old university - Manchester - to see if they could pass on my belated congratulations to the professor who made me what I am today - a politically opinionated, feral kant, which I love being, I love being AWARE - and well, Professor Lou Kushnik, honorary professorial fellow in race relations, who was awarded an O.B.E by the Queen in 2008, he is the person who gifted me this awareness via his lectures and awesome tutorials, and I just wanted to say 'thank you' to him, just wanted to let him know that who I am, each and every day of my life, which is somebody who flicks through fashion magazines looking for the latest bag - NOT - that who I am today, somebody who keeps up with current affairs, thinks them through deeply, and refuses to be a Sheeple, well, every single day of my life, since taking his classes, have always contained a little bit of Lou, because had I not had him as an important influence in my formative years, I might have remained a Sheeple, and that thought is just too perishing to think about, so I'll perish the thought, and leave it up to Soody to carry the flame instead. Just kidding, Soody, I know that deep down you believe 9/11 was an Inside Leg.
I'm tigressing.
Super wow, I heard back from Lou this morning. Wow. From an email sent to university administration, that got forwarded directly to the man himself, and then to hear from him, wow. The UK doesn't usually work that efficiently.
His email brought tears to my eyes and I shall reply to him today.
He said that my message had been 'wonderful' and it had 'meant a great deal to him'.
Being a teacher, I can appreciate his joy, and it feels lovely to have made contact with this fine man again.
I'll keep you posted.
3 comments:
It's so great that you contacted him. You probably made his day or even his year. I think everyone should be informed when they have impacted someone's life. I found two of my teachers a few years ago to let them know. One had been my 5th grade teacher and then later my 11th grade English teacher and her husband had been my Ecology teacher my Senior year in High School. I loved Mr and Mrs Blackman.
That's a much better reason to have a 5am beer, than ranting about your tossy relatives ;)
Fuff
*Cheers girls!*
Post a Comment