Friday, October 14, 2011

Early Morning In Japan

I woke up far too early -3am - it's now 5am but as I have a half day, I'm not too worried.
Indeed, given that it's a half day, and given that this blog post is so pointless, I will throw the bloc of pork that I purchased on special the other day, into the slow cooker. Onions, apple, sweet peppers, fresh rosemary and thyme. That should do it.
Midnight In Paris was a great movie.









Owen Wilson played Gil.
I loved Owen Wilson's wife as a character.
She epitomised the StarbucksInTheCity generation of women. 
What a royal, low-tide, self-centred, humourless kant.
My other favourite character was Man Ray and Hemingway was a hoot.

 He had some classic lines.

There were lots of good lines in this movie though.
Some more favourites
Luis Buñuel: A man in love with a woman from a different era. I see a photograph!
Man Ray: I see a film!
Gil: I see insurmountable problem!
Salvador Dalí: I see rhinoceros! 

and the one that made me laugh the most of all

Gil: I'm a huge Mark Twain fan. I think you can make the case that all modern American literature comes from Huckleberry Finn.
Ernest Hemingway: Do you box?
Gil: No. Well... Not really, no. 

Great movie for so many reasons, number one being that it wasn't the usual violent, pointless crap being churned out by HolyCow. Here's a list of 'hot today' movies on the site where I try to hunt and gather better fodder.

Real Steel (I bet R would like this one)
The Howling Reborn
Blood Runs Cold
Scared Shrekless
Scream 4
Evil Things

When I was young, I twice hitched to Paris and slept rough under bridges for the long weekends that I stayed there. Indeed, I once slept on a bench near the L'arc du Triomphe, and woke up unawares that the Paris Marathon had just run past me.
This one time, I was sitting by the Seine,drinking wine and eating cheese and bread, when an African-French dude, dressed like Oscar Wilde, and carrying a walking stick as an accessory, came and asked us for a light for his big dooby. I got out my box of matches. He ended up sitting down with us (I made these two trips with my university friend, Tom) and told us he was a poet  and musician- Farrel S Harding. I will never forget his name.
He walked us back to Gare Du Nord.
Along the route he would interact with the blank faces coming our way, he would say something to a stranger that would be really clever.
I was very in awe of Farrel S Harding.
He would have made a perfect character in Midnight In Paris.

4 comments:

Rhys said...

I like "Salvador Dalí: I see rhinoceros!"

222 said...

If only more movies were full of clever plays on words. This kind of film I keep because it's a pleasure to watch again.

judith said...

I'm going to have to watch this movie this weekend. I love clever movies. I love French Kiss for it's few clever lines like "you people make my ass twitch!"

Rhys said...

"Real Steel" is apparently a robot boxing movie. My son might like that, but alas, not I.