Saturday, February 11, 2012

dekiagarimashita

I've been thinking about this knob and his chick who won 45 million whoppers,

It's weird, but this couple actually looks really familiar to me
and of other recent winners -
101 million


wtf 161 million
and how all of them 'went shopping', bought big houses, wanted fast cars, and I can honestly say, cross my heart and hope to die if this is a lie, that if I had won even a million, let alone 45, the last thing I would start thinking about would be buying a big house, a fast car (I don't drive anyway), and so on. I might learn to drive though.

I really really cross my heart over this, the not doing the default 'buy the big stuff' deal.

And it brought home just how satisfied I am with what I have.
That were I to suddenly find myself with a million or more - hell, even a few thousand would do - that I wouldn't get rid of my boat and buy a better one, I wouldn't suddenly start wearing brand new clothes,  I wouldn't buy a bigger flat in Africa, or a house even, and so on.
I really wouldn't.

And it was this 'really wouldn't' do d'at kind of thing, and instead merely entertaining the thought of being able to buy a life raft without sighing hugely over the cost,

or looking forward to buying a better standard of wine, or being able to eat out when the fancy took me, these small things, that made me realise that I am happy with what I have, that no winning of a huge amount of money would change what I have morphed into as a 43 year old on planet earth, which is quite a contented creature on the whole, minus the ranting about Inside Legs, wasted votes, fork biters,word verification and too many people on the planet

It was a liberating feeling to realise this.
It made me understand that I have achieved my dream already. And no amount of money could have achieved it for me.
I've already did, done, did it.

Not the 'living in Africa' dream. Achieved .

Not the 'falling in love' dream. Achieved.

Not the 'writing a book' dream. Lost the urge.

Not the 'sailing around the world' dream. Partly there: I have a boat dammit.

But the desire to not have to work.
To be ****.


5 comments:

ROICS said...

I couldn't care less what and how they spend it. See the big guy and his big wife who won the 160+ mill? He said 'I won't be changing my Skoda, works fine, why should I?' ..... Well why do you enter a competition to win 160 million you pillock? Those are the ones that annoy me. Absolutely no concept of what he's doing, what he's got or what to do with it. Unfortunately that would apply to most and probably says more about the whole concept of the lottery in the first place. grrrrrrr

222 said...

Sometimes I think I should have stayed in the F.UK because three times when I returned, for a mere week or so to see my grampy, I'd win the lottery. LOL. Only 10 or 20 quid but still, he never won and he did it every week.

Rhys said...

Hmm. I swear I didn't read this post when I commented on the one below, claiming essentially the same plan: with bags o' cash, I would hire some help and make fewer compromises on some gear (I would love loads of Dyneema line and some specialty sailcloth, for instance, instead of "serviceable" and "Dacron"), but not much in the big picture would change.

My own little "empire" would not expand so much as be on a sounder financial basis going forward!

ROICS said...

I have an online weekly lottery which just about broke even which is good considering the odds of winning even £10 is about 26:1. Then a few months back I won 200+, so I put some on euro millions and won 1700. Ha... So what do you do? Put some more on and won another 400. Now I'm convinced the big one is mine.

Not really, but it adds something else to think about.

222 said...

Really? Did you really win all that? Wow.