Monday, January 23, 2012

getting the cane at school

One of my junior high kids - the girl who likes eating raw leeks - came and gave me some raw sugar cane from her garden today.

Sucking on the cane brought back memories of my first trip abroad.
To India.
I was 11.
It was that trip that turned me off having kids because I knew that I instead wanted to see the world.
India was SO different to Barton-Under-Needwood.

Wake up call to explore the planet or what!


How I wish I had the cine-film from the India trip.
How I wish I had the photos.
I had photos but The Beast removed them from my case.
Kant.

Anyway, sugar cane brings back memories because family on my stepfather's side were Indian and had a sugar cane plantation in the Punjab.
We went and stayed there for 10 days and I absolutely loved it.
I was always taking the bike out and going for rides down the small farm lanes by myself.
The mother used to wake up at 4am to make the day's butter from scratch.
I have such clear memories of the entire trip.

Seeing the Taj Mahal and touching its mother of pearl walls and saying to myself, 'I will always remember touching this.'
It's what I said to myself when I touched my first willy.
Not.
I was pretty immune to willies for years.

Going to the Golden Temple in Amritsar and eating the offering by mistake.

Riding an elephant up to the Amber Fort in Jaipur, dropping my wooden flute and watching the elephant pick it up with its trunk. I was allowed to 'drive' the elephant and sat on its head, holding a heavy metal spike that I had to use to spur the elephant on.

Riding the train north but mum had reserved us a first class carriage in cattle class by mistake, and not first class in first class. You had to be there. (We took a taxi back to Delhi. Bwhahahahaha)

Standing on the packed streets of New Delhi and watching Indira Gandhi's 1980 inauguration as Prime Minister.

Catching the maid in mum's room at the Imperial Hotel, Delhi, using mum's Zoflora as perfume when I went to get her fags for her whilst she sat in the beautiful gardens with a martini and the parrots.






In other news, I can go and pick my new visa up before the 2nd of Feb so I have decided to go and collect it on the afternoon of the 30th and stay in the Big City for the night in a cheap hotel.
That way I won't have to wake up at fck o'clock to get to the bus station for the ski trip I am going to take the following day.
I can also go out and catch the all-you-can-drink Happy Hour at the Hilton Hotel.
I used to do that a lot.











Quaff Mimosa after Mimosa after Mimosa.
Those were the days!
Right. That's all for now.

1 comment:

judith said...

My Grandma had sugarcane growing in her yard. Love that stuff, makes a great swizzle stick.