Wednesday, January 11, 2012

and on and on I go

Here's some light relief for y'all, as I am sure this blog makes my readers want to slit their wrists and drink rat poison.
This is genuine. Some store in Japan.
'Fuku' in Japanese means 'luck' and at the beginning of the year there are 'Lucky Bag' sales in the big stores.
'Kin' means 'gold'.
I got this photo from a favourite blog of mine http://okaasanandme.blogspot.com/ which follows the life of a British woman, caring for her going-senile mother-in-law, up in snowy Hokkaido.
In the post she brought up the 'urban myth' that a department store in Japan had once printed Christmas posters with Santa nailed to a cross. Various comments wondered if this was a true story.
It was.
I saw the poster during my first Christmas in Japan in 1992, in a posh department store in Tokyo, where I bought a wedding dress for 3000 yen ($30), but which I ruined in the end when it got caught in the chain on my bicycle.
I remember writing to my mother about it. The poster.
I was like, 'WTF! This country is wild!!'

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have stolen this LOLOLOL!
Fuffy

Rhys said...

Why do they have signs in Engrish at all? You've implied that maybe 1% of your students (and you're the best Engrish teacher in Nihon) actually bother to learn it.

Still, fuckin' amusing.

Also, "took the Lord's name in vain"?

I didn't know Arizona was in a 1950s bubble of time. Very "Doctor Who".

OceanCruiserWannabe said...

Hehehe

Liked that I did.

judith said...

That is too funny! What about the guy who got arrested?

222 said...

90% off is a 'Motherfuckin' Sale'
;)

222 said...

The guy who got arrested will be Coming Soon.

Rhys said...

Most people don't find being jailed that much of a turn-on. Perhaps it's the rough feel of institutional orange coveralls?