I don't think it would matter however much money I had, I'm never going to be able to take the thrift out of kant.
Here's the scoop.
I have a fairly heavy suitcase, plus another suitcase, plus a backpack.
Why so much crap?
Well, those Turkish throws are not light and I'm trying to take just about everything I have out of Japan on this trip, so that all I am left with come March are the traveling clothes on my back and misc. sundries, like sex toys and vitamins.
The work clothes will be donated under cover of night. There is no way I am going to go through the horror of having my donations rejected again because the Japanese are so picky.
This is one thing that makes me sad about this country, how so much goes to waste because folks demand perfection. They'll be wishing they had accepted all my clothes when hard times truly hit. I'm tigressing but in a nutshell I shall dump the work clothes late at night
I also bought some books whilst here, plus brought some books initially - sailing ones, that I haven't looked at, it's just too painful, but which I wanted anyway, just in case I went 'that way' come March, but this was stupid really because 'that way' would be to the boat, where I wanted the books to be, so what the fck was I thinking, hey, I wasn't thinking, I was fcked up in March, in Feb, in Jan, in Dec, in Nov, in Oct. I could go on and on. But I won't.
Blah blah, I also bought some sake cups/flasks etc that are really nice to have in life, especially when visiting other boats. Sipping whatever from such pretty vessels is always a nice addition to any event. I bought some beautiful little sake cups the other day for a mere 30 cents for 6! And so on. It's all been super cheap scores.
Anyway, before I get too barometrically low recalling the past, I popped down to the local convenience store to see if they offered the suitcase service to the airport.
They do but it's not the usual 'Black Cat' deal.

It's the Post Office deal. And the Post Office deal is twice the price of the Black Cat deal.

So fck that.
They can fck off. And I still haven't sent that Christmas card that was 1mm too big for the 110 stamp, and never will.
I'm not Christian, so who cares.

Yep, whereas Black Cat would take my suitcase all the way to the airport for 1,700 yen, the PO wants 3,600 yen.
Yeah, yeah, I know, 3,600 yen is about the same price that I paid for a bottle of Scotch the other day, but I can't distill my own Scotch, and even if I could, I didn't want to hang around for 12 years waiting for it to age.
I can, however, drag my cases to the bus stop.
That I can do.
So drag I will.
It's downhill.
It won't be too bad.
And that, patient readers, is yet another reason why I am able to give the finger to enslavement to work at the tender age of 43 because parting me with my money only happens if
a) It's a good deal
b) I can't do it myself
or
c) I can't make it myself.
Here's the scoop.
I have a fairly heavy suitcase, plus another suitcase, plus a backpack.
Why so much crap?
Well, those Turkish throws are not light and I'm trying to take just about everything I have out of Japan on this trip, so that all I am left with come March are the traveling clothes on my back and misc. sundries, like sex toys and vitamins.
The work clothes will be donated under cover of night. There is no way I am going to go through the horror of having my donations rejected again because the Japanese are so picky.
This is one thing that makes me sad about this country, how so much goes to waste because folks demand perfection. They'll be wishing they had accepted all my clothes when hard times truly hit. I'm tigressing but in a nutshell I shall dump the work clothes late at night
I also bought some books whilst here, plus brought some books initially - sailing ones, that I haven't looked at, it's just too painful, but which I wanted anyway, just in case I went 'that way' come March, but this was stupid really because 'that way' would be to the boat, where I wanted the books to be, so what the fck was I thinking, hey, I wasn't thinking, I was fcked up in March, in Feb, in Jan, in Dec, in Nov, in Oct. I could go on and on. But I won't.
Blah blah, I also bought some sake cups/flasks etc that are really nice to have in life, especially when visiting other boats. Sipping whatever from such pretty vessels is always a nice addition to any event. I bought some beautiful little sake cups the other day for a mere 30 cents for 6! And so on. It's all been super cheap scores.
| This Samsonite case cost $1. I used up the rest of the fish stickers on the case. Makes it easier to spot. |
Anyway, before I get too barometrically low recalling the past, I popped down to the local convenience store to see if they offered the suitcase service to the airport.
They do but it's not the usual 'Black Cat' deal.
It's the Post Office deal. And the Post Office deal is twice the price of the Black Cat deal.
So fck that.
They can fck off. And I still haven't sent that Christmas card that was 1mm too big for the 110 stamp, and never will.
I'm not Christian, so who cares.
Yep, whereas Black Cat would take my suitcase all the way to the airport for 1,700 yen, the PO wants 3,600 yen.
Yeah, yeah, I know, 3,600 yen is about the same price that I paid for a bottle of Scotch the other day, but I can't distill my own Scotch, and even if I could, I didn't want to hang around for 12 years waiting for it to age.
I can, however, drag my cases to the bus stop.
That I can do.
So drag I will.
It's downhill.
It won't be too bad.
And that, patient readers, is yet another reason why I am able to give the finger to enslavement to work at the tender age of 43 because parting me with my money only happens if
a) It's a good deal
b) I can't do it myself
or
c) I can't make it myself.
7 comments:
While I'm more like than unlike you on the thrift front (Scots genes at work, maybe), I have to wonder if the economic disparity between you and your beloved, whom you have alluded to as being more or less independently wealthy, will not cause friction.
Because he's probably got so much he doesn't notice.
You...you definitely notice. And you don't have much, and you intend to squeeze until you keel over at some advanced age making wire out of your last penny, probably using ACER toned muscles in some horrible, horrible yoga pose.
But if the assumption is that you expect him to pay for stuff like Trader Joe's...whatever that is...that you yourself wouldn't buy...then it could get sticky. Not only could you not splash out like he likely can, it is not in your nature to do so. Goes against first principles, etc.
So while you are all wondering "am I too feral to be in a relationship?", one wonders if you are simply too far apart on the Exponential Scale of How We Think About Money.
You already seem a little upset by his reluctance to buy airline tickets and whatnot.
In my experience, the way two people think about money and their formative experiences with it can really rock a relationship. Particularly if there's a large difference in income, property or leisure time.
Just because the fellow has dollars doesn't mean he's free with them. I know a lot of people I consider wealthy who are very tight with cash and constantly assume others are trying to rip them off, and bargain fiercely, despite the fact that, you know, the 15 minutes they spent getting five bucks off some trivial item in a God Mode haggle is 15 minutes that they are closer to death and the prospect of being a meal to really proletarian worms. Oh, the shame of it!
Anyway, I hope there's a happy medium. Because it's clear you not only can't roll with the high-rollers, you aren't prepared to even if you have the dosh, which you don't, not in the "let's hop on a plane to dine tonight in Paris" degree.
This isn't said to add to your burden, but I think it's too bad in a sense that Beloved doesn't read this blog. To do so would be to be provided with a map of the minefield that comprises your most entrenched bedevilments, and a fellow would on the whole prefer to avoid getting his nuts blown off.
He willingly buys my flights, as he has done with this one.
He also paid for everything this summer.
He and I think alike regarding money. This is why he loves me. He loves the thrift in me.
The money thing we have dicked now.
There is no minefield, r.
Everything on this blog has been covered in hundreds of emails, believe me, and in real life, of course.
I just like expressing myself this way, it helps me think things through. This is a story. I am not like many bloggers who hide the things which aren't too pleasing. It's all there, to serve as example or non-example, but it's there, which is why folks read this tripe, cos it isn't hidin' nuffin'.
I got so screwed over with the suitcase delivery thing when I left Japan, mostly because I left it to the last minute then my housemate rang and organised for me to go to the depot to drop them off.
She hussled me into a cab to get there and I had to end up paying 1200 yen for the cab plus around 3000 for delivery - for one suitcase. I'd have so been taking it myself if I'd have known!
I never let friends arrange things for me. I find that very few people out there have the same view of money and how to spend it, as I do.
That's why they are still working, I guess.
That would have pissed me off, what happened to you, and ruined my flight.
I hope things turn out well for you, Maria. Really.
Awww. Thanks r. I didn't know you had a soft side. ;)
It was a weird situation. My housemate usually wasn't that helpful but she had guests over and I think she was trying to make a good impression... grrr!
By the time I found the price, they'd made me do all the paperwork and had taken my bag away, plus it'd have the cost of a cab fee home with it so I had to pay. And yeah, I was pretty pissed off about it.
Post a Comment