The other day, when I jogged up to the 8th floor of the main school building to take some pics of the 'hood, I scared the life out of two students, as they did me, who were exiting a toilet as I was walking past.
Given that the students aren't usually allowed to leave the class to go to the loo, and that teachers don't usually spend their free time jogging up to the 8th floor, it's not surprising we all jumped 4 foot into the air.
The students in question are two of my troublesome students, who are giving all the teachers a hard time this year, albeit I actually quite like them because I think they are just going through a hormonal rebellious stage, and I keep telling them in class that 'I went through the same thing but knocked it on the head by the time I was 15 because otherwise I'd fck up my future'.
I have told them this 3 times in class and I think I am getting somewhere because lately they have started making an effort- they have started to bring a pen to class - but that could also be because the other day they got a massive LOUD bollocking from the teacher in charge of discipline, which could be heard from space.
Fact. There is nothing like the wrath of a Japanese person once their mostly dormant anger gene has been switched on.
Anyway, today at the end of the class, these kids asked me what I was doing up at the 8th floor - and this was after I'd said that recently I had had contact with an old friend and had been really impressed to hear that he'd climbed Everest (we were studying Nepal in class) and that I was a loser compared to him because the highest I've ever got is the 8th floor of our school building.
You had to be there.
Anyway, they said to me,
What were you doing on the 8th floor the other day?
What were you doing in the toilets?!
We were worried about you.
Really? Ah yes, you have given me so much stress this year, I was gonna jump!.
Everybody laughed.
It was a nice way to finish the class and to get to bore you lot with this story.
By the way, one of my kids in another class, who started out the year as the kind of student who bristled at the thought of learning English, who was very much a 'This is Japan. I only like Japan. Fck you foreigner'' crone, has totally turned around and is even a late-joining member of my English Club, with a new interest in traveling when she is older. Success or what!
Given that the students aren't usually allowed to leave the class to go to the loo, and that teachers don't usually spend their free time jogging up to the 8th floor, it's not surprising we all jumped 4 foot into the air.
The students in question are two of my troublesome students, who are giving all the teachers a hard time this year, albeit I actually quite like them because I think they are just going through a hormonal rebellious stage, and I keep telling them in class that 'I went through the same thing but knocked it on the head by the time I was 15 because otherwise I'd fck up my future'.
I have told them this 3 times in class and I think I am getting somewhere because lately they have started making an effort- they have started to bring a pen to class - but that could also be because the other day they got a massive LOUD bollocking from the teacher in charge of discipline, which could be heard from space.
Fact. There is nothing like the wrath of a Japanese person once their mostly dormant anger gene has been switched on.
Anyway, today at the end of the class, these kids asked me what I was doing up at the 8th floor - and this was after I'd said that recently I had had contact with an old friend and had been really impressed to hear that he'd climbed Everest (we were studying Nepal in class) and that I was a loser compared to him because the highest I've ever got is the 8th floor of our school building.
You had to be there.
Anyway, they said to me,
What were you doing on the 8th floor the other day?
What were you doing in the toilets?!
We were worried about you.
Really? Ah yes, you have given me so much stress this year, I was gonna jump!.
Everybody laughed.
It was a nice way to finish the class and to get to bore you lot with this story.
By the way, one of my kids in another class, who started out the year as the kind of student who bristled at the thought of learning English, who was very much a 'This is Japan. I only like Japan. Fck you foreigner'' crone, has totally turned around and is even a late-joining member of my English Club, with a new interest in traveling when she is older. Success or what!
No comments:
Post a Comment