Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait A Quarter Of A Century


I know it seems silly, to be so stoked to have scored a favourite scent, at the age of 43, for $10 instead of $200, but it is what it is. Too many commas, I know.

And it reminds me of my 6 months in Kyoto, when I worked at Doshisha.
Huge tigression here, but this school is dead posh and very well-known in Japan.

Anyway, they always held a morning assembly, which was broadcast into the classrooms on most mornings, and long story short, I was next to the broadcasting studio one morning, and a co-teacher had told me she wasn't feeling well, so I launched into a 'coffee enemas can really help you for that' and then there was a knock on our door, and a teacher popped her head around and said, 'Shhhhh, we are On Air'. It was funny. You had to be there.

Anyway, my Kyoto 6 months was before I had fallen in love and my life fell apart, and I was very happy, albeit I was in serious Save Money Mode.



Remember, I'd just had my first 6 months of retirement, done the Eastern Med Yacht Rally Piss-Up, traveled back and forth between Asia, Turkey and South Africa, and suddenly, en route to picking up my suitcase in Nagoya, was offered a 6 month stint in Kyoto as Mistress of the Tea Ceremony at the Golden Temple.

Bring it on.

I was very happy in Kyoto, even though I ended up donating 250,000 yen to the thrift store, when I returned some clothes that I had worn for 'work' and not checked my pockets and FUCK YOU YOU LYING NON-BLINKING BITCH because I know you found that money in the pocket of the blue fake fur jacket and I hope that your future husband always has natto breath and smokes two packets of cigarettes a day.
I'm tigressing.
Where was I?
Oh yes, whilst I was in Kyoto - which was from October till March - I used to visit the posh department store to look at bottles of COCO Chanel.
I'd then come home and mantra to myself, 'Treat yourself, go on, you know you want it.'
But I never actually got past just looking at it. I used to do this with Stilton cheese, until yesterday.
Anyway, the ladies on the Chanel counter started giving me the side-eye whenever I'd come in to look and sniff.

I am NOT a brander or 'do shopping' or any of that crap, but for some reason, I have always wanted to own a bottle of COCO.
I never got round to it though cos it was kinda not what I usually spend money on.
And now this happens.
I get the creme de la creme of the fragrance - le parfum - for $10.
Thank you God.
It was worth waiting 25 years for this moment.





7 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG that op shop story is horrible. Similar thing happened to a workmate. She did a big clean up including throwing out a pair of her husbands old boots then found out he'd been using them to store his $$$. He worked from home and sometimes got paid in cash. They had about $5000 tucked in them. That story had a happy ending though after they let him sort through hundreds of bags of clothing!

You really deserve to enjoy that perfume after that.

Anonymous said...

I remember that story about the lost cash..geeeeeze have I been reading this blog that loooong!!!

RB

judith said...

That is a sickening story, but Que Sera, Sera... after you throw-up a little.

Your story rings in my ears when I go to put something in the Goodwill bin. I become obsessed with checking the pockets. If it's boots, I probably be able to tell by the weight if there is anything in them, we usually keep our guns in boots.

judyitazuke said...

How did you get the Coco for $10? And you stuck $2500 in pocket then donated item? I'd never get over that!

222 said...

RB - You poor thing, you've been along for the horror ride for years now.
;)
It's kinda sad.
All my little moves forward towards hope, and failing all the time.
Sigh.

Judy - from the local recycle shop. Obviously the staff were unaware of its true value.
Yiphee.
Yeah, re: losing that money - I got over it in a flash, actually, which was weird for somebody thrifty like me - I was like, 'shit happens and I'm not broke'. I quite surprised myself. The story has made me laugh at myself, more than grimace. Odd, I know. I must have something in my DNA regarding money to soften the blow.

Ha ha Judith --no kidding, me too!

F. said...

COCO, yay, love it. But it's not something everyone can pull off.

222 said...

Yeah, I can't imagine it suiting R.
;)