Saturday, December 10, 2011

freedom is in the eye of the beer holder

I just want to quickly note to myself here that I'm glad listened to Farming Today last night because it feels good to wake up feeling fresh as a daisy, instead of groggy from a late night spent in a bar.

One has to remember that I was going to bed pretty early during my years of retirement; either to have sex, or when living on the boat, I would pretty much be hitting the bunk soon after the sun went down, and rarely would be seen in bars after dark; I was more of a daytime bar fly.

So this lack of desire to court the midnight oil has become part of who I am in my early 40's, whilst the fact that my friend's business is a bar, makes bar life still a huge part of who he is in his 40's.
Ergo, I'd prefer to meet during daylight hours because of who I am these days, but will go to the bar this evening because it is a special week for him, what with it being the 10th anniversary of the place, and I did have many, many fun times in that bar. Many.

Pre-2008, I had lived a wonderful life in Japan and I am thankful that I have so many good memories, that I was able to carve a 'career' out of being FILTH, had fun doing so, and am about to reap the Crop of Freedom I sowed and fertilised along the way.

Which brings me to something I've wanted to touch upon since reading a friend's blog recently - that crazy Vancouver Runner - where she mentioned that, whilst she could easily liquidate her life and be all free and 'fck you system', like what I am going to do, that she is happy where she is, that she is happy because she has a good life where she is, that she loves that her family and friends are close by, that, in a nutshell, she has a fulfilling life filled with love and friendship, without having to go gallivanting off around the planet.

And it made me realise that what I have striven for in life - this premature ejaculation from the work ethic - is probably because I don't have family and friends to ground me.

There's no family because the important ones are dead. There's no real solid friend network because I'm an extreme ex-pat and people are always moving on and moving away.

I therefore fully understand why many people are happy with the way they are, that even though they could be 'free'  in the way that I define freedom, their freedom comes in other shapes and forms, and they are quite happy with it.


And that being close to those who you love, and who love you, is as much a life adventure, as being somebody like me, who lacks such love to the degree that she has had to fill the gap by having a relationship with the planet instead.



So there you have it.
Deep thoughts before 5:30am.
WTF am I doing up so early!

Today I'm going to hunt and gather a TB external hard drive because I have been downloading loads of documentaries and movies and my hard drives are full now.

I downloaded a couple of Doris Day movies because folks say I have a bit of Doris about me and I thought they'd be nice to watch with Miss Daisy.
Which reminds me of the shakuhachi I gave when we were looking for a Doris Day movie in the library at the posh retirement estate in Phoenix. I cannot believe I did that, got on my knees in that library!
I did the same thing in a silk worm loft here in Japan. Fck it was freezing.

Enough. 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I get annoyed with ppl who write about postivity and all that bunk because a lot of them assume that everyone wants to escape the office cubicle and be creative.

I bet there are ppl in this world who are accountants and love it. Wouldn't do anything else. That's as valid as anything so long as you doing because you want to and not because you are too chickenshit to anything else.

judith said...

M, I think you may have hit on something with that traveling the world because of a lack of family. I would probably do that too.

I hang around here because of the honesty. I hang around the Running Duder's blog for the same reason. You people make me think. I would hang out over at Rhys' blog but I'm afraid that my brain may explode with all the thinking I'd be doing.

222 said...

He he he. I concur. Imagine me, R and Tanis in a room. Actually, in real life, I'm pretty pathetic, but I reckon R and Tanis would be fine conversationalists. I just get drunk and serve uncooked pasta with a glazed look in my eyes and then have to pretend that it's a new kind of fusion cuisine.

222 said...

p.s I read your blog because I like cats. ;)

judith said...

OMG, my blog is pathetic! It's just a couple of sentences short of a Starbucks desertation.

222 said...

LOL!