Saturday, December 3, 2011

The Children Have Been Raptured


4 comments:

Rhys said...

Did you EVER have much of a Midlands accent? (puts on pointy hat with 'three years of linguistics classes' on it in crayon). I can only here it in some passing vowels, like the double "oo" in "good", which ends up a touch Scottish-sounding by way of Swindon.

Other than that, it's essentially RP/Estuary English.

Not to make you self-conscious or anything...it's a perfectly charming accent...but I make bar wagers on guessing where people are from, and how long they've been away, and I do fairly well at it, too.

But if that's the way you actually speak, I would be well stumped to guess you'd grown up anywhere but a London suburb.

Still, thanks for the slightly creepy "abandoned playground" shots. People generally think of Japan as packing 'em in like sardines, so to see a lot of these photos with no people (28 Days Later style) in them is a treat.

Anonymous said...

Great comment, r, made me laugh, but all your comments make me laugh.
Like I commented above, my formative years of vowel formation were spent in East Sussex, I had 7 years of Midlands to fck with me, then at 16, down to London, living with two extremely BBC but working for IRN, broadcast journalists, which helped to dilute the a-ups and alright are yows that had started to creep into my lingual DNA.
My aunt once - and I guess this was illegal, it was actually - 'interviewed me' for a BBC radio programme - I had to pretend to be a market trader - easy to pretend because from the age of 8 I had grown up on stalls - and fully bring out the Brummie accent, because she didn't want to have to travel up to Brum to interview a real market trader. LOL - very illegal, I am sure. So I've been on BBC radio 4. Bwhahahaha.

The I Want A Husky - Kant

Anonymous said...

p.s Ha ha at the 28 Days Later comment....I thought about that movie, too, yesterday, it was eerily creepy, especially for the occasional person walking across the park, to see this odd foreigner on the swing, talking to herself.

Rhys said...

Could be a sign of the Apocalypse.

Thanks for the background. Now your voice makes perfect sense and the only mystery is how you've kept it intact living in Japan.

Next video, please record yourself speaking in Japanese to an actual Japanese (so few of whom have appeared so far that Japan looks people-free). You needn't speak with someone at a stall, although it would close the Circle of Fabricated News.

Anyway, the reason is that I want to hear how you speak Japanese, please and ta.