Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Creeping Under The Desks

After school today, I'm going to a traditional Izakaya with the lady in the office.
This will be my first social engagement since late May and 2nd one since April.
I think I've found a place that has Happy Hour between 5 and 7. I am meeting her at 6.
I'll probably enjoy some HH beer time between 5 and 6.
I'm going to go to the ATM - even though I have money in my bag - to withdraw 3000 yen for tonight.
That way I won't 'notice' what I spend because 3,000 is nothing when taken from the Big Account.

How do  people who have decided not to have kids feel about not being able to leave a 'legacy' once you pass on?
It seems that some folks who have kids feel sorry for people like what we is cos 'What will you have once you're dead! Nothing!!No legacy!'
Uh. Okay.
But I doubt I'd care about the 'legacy FUCK QUAKE....all is well, where was I, oh yes, I doubt I'd care about the 'legacy' I'd be missing out on, if the average 'legacy' out there is anything to go by.

So will the folks who have kids refrain from feeling sorry for me just because the buck will stop with me.
Cos you are wrong about that anyway.
I will decay and return to the earth somehow and then something will grow, like some moss or a bivalve, or whatever, so even though my 'legacy' won't be playing computer games or getting divorced or having to work till 70, I will still have a legacy, it just won't have two legs or blog.

So yeah, that quake was fcking scary, even though it lasted only 10 seconds and was a mere 3 on the Richter Scale.
It's the first quake I've felt since returning.
Pretty amazing really, this whole shifting thing going on on a massive scale.

2 comments:

Rhys said...

So I guess I can assume that "legacy FUCK QUAKE" was a minor tremor? Didn't knock out the power or bean you with a pot, anyway.

Maybe the regular reminders that the planet is trying to drive Japan into its molten core (geologically speaking), that accounts in part for the legendary Japanese fatalism.

I think if you plant trees, you leave an enduring legacy, and if not enduring, at least better than rotting in the ground. Nut trees and rare hardwoods would be nice. I've considered buying a wood lot to do exactly this. We could live on it and selectively harvest, and then when we snuff it, we could basically just subside into the ground cover.

I don't think of my son as a "legacy" because he's the entirely foreseeable result of unprotected sex, not some sort of human billboard for my achievements or attributes. While I strive for him to veer to the bright, when I'm gone, he will merely represent himself, not my thoughts or attitudes.

The same logic pertained when I got legally married. Not only did I not want to have my wife take my last name, I *refused* to let her take it. She's not the junior partner in a corporate merger; she has a perfectly servicable last name and is known by it, and I think "tagging" her with my last name is a form of identity vandalism.

She used to get Xmas cards from older relatives with her first name and my last name, however; some people are uncomfortable with the concepts involved.

(I can't see you getting a new last name in your 40s, Perkins. Not only is it impossible to think of you as anything but "Perkins", it's a pretty lucky handle for someone driving a big ketch, as would be the name "Ford" for a race car driver. So please keep it. It's now a lucky charm.)

My kid has my last name, not in terms of "legacy", but because my last name is short, rare, the name of an Irish tribe first mentioned in the historical record around 300 A.D., and he's the last male in the direct line. His closest male relatives are first cousins four times removed in Cardiff...not much of a tribe there, alas.

Christ, I do ramble on.

Rhys said...

Good thing I type rapidly.