Thursday, November 10, 2011

Reason #458 As To Why I Bought A Porta-Bote


I sense that my computer, an HP Mini, is about to crap out on me.
Only I could make a solid state hard drive rattle.
What pisses me off is that I'm going to have to spend $300 on a replacement because I was too tight with my money when I bought the bicycle.
Instead of paying an extra $20, or the equivalent of two bottles of wine, money I don't think twice about when grabbing it off the shelf, and I know that shelf well, I instead bought the one for 6500 yen, the one with the buckled wheel, the one that makes the bike basket rattle constantly, which led to the computer rattling for one hour each day, leading to this, The World's First Rattling Solid State Hard Drive.
Fck.
Sometimes thriftiness can be a backfiring bitch.
So if I suddenly disappear, it's not because I finally have a life again, it's because I'm between computers.

5 comments:

Rhys said...

I just bought a pair of these.

http://www.laptopmag.com/review/laptop/asus-eee-pc-1215n.aspx

Bigger screens, 2 gigs of RAM, better video speed and a 100% keyboard sold me.

I spent $328 each here in Toronto. Money here is very close to par with the States. I spent another $28 to upgrade the one I bought to 4 gigs, which drastically shortens the boot time and allows multiple programs to open at the same time. It comes with Windows 7 Home Premium. I'm pleased with it, indeed...it'll be one of my plotters next season.

Rhys said...

Also, how hard can it be in Japan to find an unbuckled front wheel? You know they can be fixed, right? Well, if not severely bent. The spokes are removed and selectively restored and tightened until the wheel is trued.

Any bike shop should be capable of it. All you need is an old bike fork stuck in cement or something to work on it.

Polkadot said...

That computer looks good - but 56,000 yen here - just bought another HP Mini, 28,000 yen, and yeah, doh, great idea, there's a spare bike wheel here at school, I'll switch them.
I guess if my head wasn't so consumed with the daily bs I have to emotionally wade through, I'd be as on it as I usually am when dealing with things in WW.

Rhys said...

The Mini's OK, but it's a little weak for anything more than light browsing. Which itself is fine. I have last year's 10 inch ASUS eeePC 1018 (which is getting given to my son in hopes he'll learn to type as his handwriting is appalling).

The good thing about today's netbooks and related "lower tier" 'puters is that people who realize what they need needn't be a gaming/video powerhouse now have cheap and cheerful choices.

Guys like me can hot-rod cheap and cheerful into "circa 2006 business laptop" grade, which is plenty if I want to navigate in OpenCPN and watch "Snakes on a Plane" at the same time.

As one does in the Bass Strait.

Polkadot said...

Yeah, for the boat, definitely need one with higher pixels, to utilise downloaded pics of google earth, plus the entire GPS set-up thingy.