Thursday, November 17, 2011

It's Lingering Bath Time And Bed

Whilst I might be cynical about being in Japan for the long term, like life, married to it, and so on, I have totally loved my time here.

But, if I didn't have the opportunities I have created for myself, the ability to retire so young and move elsewhere, explore the planet, given the wise decisions I have made along the way; if I had to work, if I had to be based somewhere, and if I didn't mind not finding true, deep love, then I would choose Japan as my base in life, because its innocence is endearing in so many ways.


So even though I rant about d'is and d'at, I do understand people who choose to live here above returning to their homelands. I totally get it. Unless you're from somewhere uber cool, like Africa, Thailand, Nepal, Sri Lanka or India, and then living here would suck big time.
I'm tigressing.

Just now, I went for an evening bike ride, and ended up at the 100 Yen Shop, and blah di blah, at the register the lady was so sweet, so nice, in her late 50's, maybe early 60's, kind face, made eye contact with me, we gave each other warm smiles, and while I looked at her, I imagined her life outside of the 100 Yen Shop.
This was my biggest orb ever
Her smile, brought her to life, made her a full person, a warm person, and in Japan - well, in any country, I guess - there are warm folks, and then there are people who remain out of reach given that they don't have a warmth, and it's the warm moments in my life, both received and given, that make each and every day, a day worth living, even though I overuse, or under use commas.


I truly appreciate those people who have the curiosity and empathy within, to give a smile to a stranger who is challenged by punctuation, people who offer some of their time to connect, however brief that connection might be.
Thank you lady in the 100 Yen shop. For warming my heart this somewhat chilly evening.

No comments: