I really enjoy cycling to school. I left early this morning, before the traffic had time to brew. It was a lovely ride. I take the long route. It takes 10 minutes longer, but it's more 'zen', which can you believe isn't in the demonic Scrabble Dictionary.
I just had to take the lift to the 8th floor of the school building because there was a case of Tape Recorder Missing In Action for a Very Important Test.
I prepped to perfection, too.
I have no idea why the teacher invigilating one of my classes had every other kind of tape player on his desk but the one that I had prepared for him.
Up down, up down, up down, up, and on the final down, I took the stairs, which I would usually do had it not been an emergency.
I quipped to the teacher I was coming down with, "Ooh, my ears are popping."
My jokes get lost in translation.
In other news, for the first time in my life I am merely looking at a soft rice cake and a cookie, both of them souvenirs from Mr Smile's trip to Radiation Central.
I said, 'I hope those souvenirs were originally Made In China'.
No such luck. They are Full-On Fukushima, or FOF for short.
And you know something, despite the joking around in the teachers' room this morning, I am not going to eat them. The dodgy stuff that could be in them has a half life of thousands of years, and even if just one iddy bitty bad atom thingy lodged itself in one of my organs, it could seriously fck with me down the line.
So no.
I am not going to eat these gifts. I'll give them to a fork biter instead.
It's too risky.
Am I being overly paranoid? Maybe. But I am not prepared to take an unknown risk, which is what risks always are: unknown.
Mr Smile was saying that the place he visited was 'safe', it's in the mountains.
I said, 'Yeah, well, it's rained there since March and we are not dealing with fallout from volcanic ash.'
Japan is the perfect country for such a disaster to happen to.
Everybody is being so accepting of it.
2 comments:
I share your views on the risks, so I don't think you're being paranoid. Personally I wouldn't even be in Jap Land, I'd be on AJ. 'Tis your destiny my child. Feel the force.
If you'd been nuked, you'd be fatalistic, too.
Post a Comment