Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Reply To OceanWannabe Regarding, 'Well, maybe they just aren't interested in languages'

French is French. English is the language used in international business. Europeans, like the Germans and the Dutch, plus all other countries surrounding the French, have been lapping up learning English for decades now. It is why I have some good friends from such countries. I often say to them, 'Thanks for speaking English. I'm sorry I don't speak German' and they give me strange looks and then say, 'Uh, it's English'. When in Turkey,  I met a few travelers from China and Taiwan and they spoke better English than what I did. I met two Japanese. They spoke pretty good English but not at the level that their Asian cousins exhibited. The two Japanese were leading very, very interesting lives. Such interesting lives could only be attributed to their attempts at embracing the English language.
If English were not the language of the world, I would laugh along with the 'this is Japan'  kids who sit there looking self-satisfied and 'right' in their refusal to learn the language. But I have seen the world and I have met hundreds of different kinds of people, and I have to say that it is English that has brought us together, that has fueled friendships, interesting conversations, new things learned about other cultures, opportunities, and if I were to have to study a language for 6 long years, with at least 3 classes a day devoted to the language, then I think I'd start to realise that maybe I should make those 6 long years worth the trouble.
There is no excuse for the lack of effort MOST Japanese students give English.
Like I said, from now on, I will only engage with the kids engaged with the language. The rest can stew in their mono-lingual miso soup. I used to care. I don't anymore. I have told them time and time again about former students of mine who are doing really well, leading interesting lives; average students, who merely because they put some effort in with English, had doors opened to them that otherwise would have remained closed. How can what seems to be 98% of the population here, remain so hostile to the language? I just don't understand. After 20 years here, on and off, nothing, absolutely nothing has changed from 1992. Weird. p.s I also tell the kids about an exchange student we had from Thailand a few years ago whose English was amazing. Thailand! I am sure learning English is as difficult for Thais as it is for the Japanese. There is no excuse. It is laziness. Pure laziness. Like I said, let 'em stew. I no longer care for the ones who will forever stubbornly remain within these shores.

4 comments:

Minos said...

Iz Minos. This is attest.

Minos of the meowans said...

Ha! Sew the test, eet work! Hi haf bean trying two post the commet for the number of tymes, burt heach thaim nothing happyear on the blogit. Hi blame the conpewter. It haf mined of own. Bustardo. However hi av managed to how twit eat on this hoccasscion!! Minos 1, bustado conpoota nil.

I forgot watt hi was going to say now....er ...one thnig, Iz good to sea yew back with eblogit. oh, and yes... second; donna be the deeprest, Iz difficult pooling through the type hof hexperience of the last year, I know only two wells, burt, you will. Inn deed, you am.
and thirdly, about the lurning hof heeengleesh.

iz tooken Minos many a long yur to prefect heengleesh to the level of effluency wot he now processes. Icann foaly indhorse vot ewe say weeth regard hexperience of the meating and becalming a quainted with pimples harround the glob. My hown naytive tong donna help much, Weeth heengleesh though, iz possible to strike hup constipation with a stragler say at the bust op, or when waiting to ketch a fairy to sum distraught, far hoff land. iz worth preserving with, four the rewinds am myriad.

Minos.

OceanCruiserWannabe said...

Minos!

Maria, you make several good points. English is a universal language and an opener of doors. As native English speakers we sometimes forget that and take it for granted. How fortunate are we? :-)

When I was at school in little ol' England foreign languages were viewed by many as being peripheral to the core subjects. Maybe that's the reason some of your students aren't embracing the opportunity to learn English. On the other hand, maybe you're right, it's just laziness. Send them on a school trip to Fukushima ;-)

Polkadot said...

He he Nutters, supreme nutters.