Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Nettle Chips

I'm inspired to write this post because there's only so much cycling around the 'hood I can do after work, and a post at a recently discovered blog of another chick in Japan, regarding her attempt at sharing a little Candy Culture with her students, and having it backfire as they dug deep by default for the Japanese candy, also brought on the perspiration to hit the keyboard.
I was reminded of how Students I Have Taught would usually look with extreme indifference at any candy I brought back from my travels for them. This is why I ended up buying the most disgusting candy out there; starting with the Durian candy circa 1998, and progressing to Mexican candy in the mid-2000's.
Anyway, I just popped out to the shop and in the bargain bin were packets and packets of these potato chips, all at half price.

I don't usually buy potato chips because I don't want to end up looking like this


but I couldn't resist buying these as a sign of solidarity for foreign snacks and candies.
It is clear that these wound up in the bargain bin because the locals were fearful of trying something different.
KETTLE BRAND POTATO CHIPS
WTF!!
NEW YORK CHEDDAR
WTF!!!
Walk on buy and go and buy some 'consomme' chips instead.
Anyway, there is no point to this post.
It's a dumb post.
Oh yeah, at the recycle shop just now, I bought some ski gloves for $4 and a cute purple dress that I will wear to school for $2, and an aqua blue mini wraparound skirt for 40 cents.
p.s
Whilst I might rant about certain things in Japan, I do hold utmost respect for the cleanliness of the streets, the people, the innocence of the people, the safety on the streets, the sweet naivity, and so on. I was thinking these things this morning. When I compare this country to the horror stories unfolding back in the Motherland, or over in The Steaks, I count my lucky stars that every day is serene and fluffy.
UPDATE
These Kettle Chips taste like crap.
Now I know why they were in the bargain bin.

5 comments:

OceanCruiserWannabe said...

What's wrong with the woman in that pic? [confused] If women that ate potato chips all looked like that then the world would be a better place. You sure you posted the right pic?

222 said...

After all these years you don't get my sense of humor?!
;)
I could have posted a fat bastard but that would have been disturbing.

Rhys said...

If you want inspiration to eat better, check out

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/

Good grief. There are no words.

As for those chips, you have to wonder how long they'd been sitting in crates on docks in the tropical sunshine before they got to a bargain bin on a backstreet shop in a lesser-known Japanese city. How anyone made money on that deal is utterly beyond me.

OceanCruiserWannabe said...

Bugger! I've been had. Obviously I didn't have my brain cell in gear ;-)

Liz said...

They are usually ICHIBAN !!! Must have been the time lapse, as Rhys said.