Monday, October 10, 2011

Hand In Glove



Not sure why, but today I bought three pairs of gloves/arm warmers for a buck each from the 100 Yen Shop. The arm warmers will come in useful on the boat, especially when rowing, because they will protect my delicate palms from Oar Burn, and also protect my arms from the sun.
Ooh. Look at those diamantes!

Yeah, yeah, I know, I can wear a long-sleeved top, which I will do, too, but I like arm warmers, so shaddup!
Soft and fluffy
I will now tigress.
I was on FB earlier today with a bunch of old high school friends, my best friends from high school.
Somebody brought up a Saturday kid's programme - Tiswas - which most of them watched.
I didn't watch Tiswas because for me it was the epitome of sterilized milk, which I avoided at all costs.
Instead I preferred to watch Swap Shop, which is probably where I learned how to be thrifty.
After looking at the string of FB comments, especially the one from my friend who also preferred Swap Shop, I realised that the Swap Shop watchers had avoided having kids, whereas the Tiswas watchers had all become parents. Maybe there was a subliminal message going on in these programmes.
'Havekidshavekidshavekids' vs 'Don'tdoitdon'tdoitdon'tdoit'.
Hmmmm.



Just now I was reading an article in the Crass Media about how, despite the recession, there are women in the F.UK who are still racking up hundreds of pounds of debt on their credit cards, buying brand crap; handbags, shoes, gold-plated coffee beans and so on.
The writer of the article was moaning and bitching about the Prime Minister encouraging everybody to pay off their debts - "He's alright!  He's Eton-educated and rich. He doesn't know what it's like to be us!"
Oh, cry me a coy pond!
She then went on to say,

"We're in debt because we have no other choice."


I say, 'Bullshit!'

I commented (because I have nothing better to do than pump myself up to go jogging before the Mayan Calendar implodes),
Everybody had the choice to either become in debt or avoid debt. The opening to this article, saying that people 'did not have a choice', is utter balderdash. Did you buy a new vehicle? Did you have children even though you knew you wouldn't be able to afford their upbringing? Did you fail to shop around for the best prices before 'thrift' became the new in-word? Did you eat out often? Did you do the default coffee run of a morning? Did you leave commonsense at the gate when you walked up the garden path to a 3-bedroomed house that cost you 200,000 pounds or more? If you are in debt, it is because of the choices you made in life. Prove me wrong."

Then some kant called me 'mean' and whinged, " You don't sound as if you are careful with your money. You come across as mean. If everyone waited until they could 'afford' children, no one would have them"




If only!

5 comments:

Pseudonym said...

Instead they expect us to pay for their sodding offspring...

Bloody menace to the civilised world the baby farmers, they churn out a huge herd and for what? You can't eat babies - they're useless - if it weren't for the subsidy they'd go bust.

222 said...

I can't believe we finally agree on something, Soody.
;)
p.s Your ranting is becoming wonderfully honed

OceanCruiserWannabe said...

I hate it - all the baby brigade crap (hey that's the BBC!) I don't work now - out of choice - fed up contributing to a society that I get bugger all back from (a bit like your American 'friend' really). Not because I'm rich, far from it, but because I'm debt-free and I can afford not to work if I live reasonably frugally, as I pretty much always have done (apart from the odd fcking huge extravagance, which I worked hard for and paid for). I've now sold about 90% of my possessions in preparation for moving onboard a boat (it WILL happen!!!) No 52" plasma screens or BMWs for me, thank you very much.

In the meantime I doth protest against the BBC in little ways. Like parking in parent & child spaces at supermarkets. I fcking REFUSE to be discriminated against. Barstewards.

Rhys said...

http://art-bin.com/art/omodest.html

sokmonkee said...

Yes, Jonathan Swift - A man ahead of his time!!