Monday, October 3, 2011

Evening Camper

We have an exchange student at the school for 6 months.
A nice boy from Maryland.
Not sure how much fun he's having, he's usually wandering around alone, but today I said to the chick sitting next to him, 'Aren't you lucky! You have somebody who can help you with English, sitting right next to you.'
She gave me the look of a person who's gonna wind up working in a convenience store and said, in Japanese, 'I don't understand English.'
I said, 'Yappari Nihon' which means, 'Typical Japanese Response' and then,  'I'm not surprised by what you just said. Just you watch Japan sink while your Korean and Chinese peers soar'.
Evil roar.
Maybe it's this prefecture, maybe it's this school, maybe it's me, I don't fcking know, but what I do know is that my job description is pretty redundant for 80% of the student population.
And I told the class that, whilst giving looks of appreciation to the 20% engaged with actually learning the language, I said, 'There is no point to my job.'
If I was Japanese and mastering English THERE IS NO WAY I would then go and use my skill in the school system. NO WAY. It's totally under-appreciated.
This post is boring.
What I wanted to write about is how lonely it is up here on the hill at Residence K, even though all the other inmates are foreign. It seems that there's a rule that is 'Only speak Japanese to each other'.
Not that I see these folks much, but today I bumped into two Westerners crossing a nearby road and I said, 'Wassup!' and they said, 'Konnichiwa' like two Aibo robots, and I was like,' wtf..mumble mumble fucking mumble..speak English dammit..'
And then I remembered the Debu American I'd met at a traffic crossing about 3 weeks ago. He was on a bike, I was on a bike. We were waiting for the light to change. I looked at him and said, 'Howdy' and he said, 'Konnichiwa', so I said, 'Konnichiwa' (thinking, 'eh, what's he using Japanese for?')and then, as the light changed, I said, 'Kiotsukete! It's a dangerous world out there!', (all in Japanese) and off I cycled, ahead of him..
Long story short, two elementary school girls were cycling towards me on the wrong side of the road. When they saw me, one of the girls wobbled on her bike and crashed. This often happens when Japanese see foreigners. Debu  had caught up at this point, I turned to him and said, in Japanese again, 'It wasn't my fault', and off I sped.
That was a really boring story.
WTF.
My life sucks.
Anyway, blah, I'm trying to get fit in a fun way.
I want to eat all I want and drink all I want but am being careful about what I drink and what I eat.
Tonight I ate Chicken Sauteed In D'is And D'at.

In the crock pot for tomorrow is Lemon Basil Chicken With Sweet Potatoes.
And instead of a wine box, I bought some Single Malt Islay.

I wonder if Knox will be set free?
I hope so because I am tired of hearing Kercher's family bitching and moaning about 'not getting as much attention' as Knox or 'she's gonna make millions and we can barely afford to get to Italy.'
Oh, cry me a coy pond!
From what I have read, I believe Knox to be innocent. It quite disgusts me that the Kercher's keep braying for the blood of Knox, when it is clear that the true murderer, Rudy Guede, has already been tried and found guilty.
Anyway, time for me to treat myself to an evening enema, take a lingering bath in Rose Bathsalts, and then settle down to watch Orphan Killer. (Just kidding - boom boom)
Not sure what to watch tonight. Maybe ' A Little Piece Of Heaven', whatever that's about.

2 comments:

rob said...

A little piece of heaven maybe??or possibly Sunset on the aft deck of AJ with the one you love????? ;o))

Rhys said...

"When they saw me, one of the girls wobbled on her bike and crashed. This often happens when Japanese see foreigners."

I laughed at this. I can think of many reasons why my appearance might startle, but startle right off a bike?

Priceless.