Thursday, October 13, 2011

Deep Japanese Conversations I Have Had

There's this one teacher, part-time, have known her for years, who I always have dumb conversations with.
In 2007, back when I was retiring forever (yeah right) she said, 'But why!!!! Why!!!!!!'.
Just now she spied me looking as if I was heading home - which I am, but in about 5 minutes- and she called out to me, but I was on a mission carrying pilfered filtered water to the bike basket, so replied, 'I'll be up in a minute!', whilst wondering what was so important that she had called out, so then she comes to find me soon after and asks, 'Are you going home!!!!!!?????????? Now?????!!!!!!! For lunch???!!!!!'
And I said, 'I'm going home soon, that's for sure.'
"For lunch!!!!!!!'
'Uh no, probably not, I'm not hungry right now.'
'Going home!!!!!! Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!'
'Uh, yes, I've finished all I have to do and I refuse to sit around and do bugger all.'
It's like, wtf, really, why didn't she come and talk to me about the latest on Fukushima or something?
It's always stupid crap, like the above.

6 comments:

Rhys said...

Interesting article in my morning paper on Fukushima and Japanese people no longer trusting the government line:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/asia-pacific/for-japanese-fukushima-spells-fear/article2199182/

Does this jibe with what you hear?

222 said...

Not in my teacher's room.
Yesterday Mr Smile walked into the office and started making fun of me and my opinion on Fukushima.
Ha ha ha ha, Fukushima, dangerous, 'abunaiiii', ha ha ha ha ha.
I usually can ha ha ha ha ha heaps with Mr Smile, but I looked at him, minus the ha ha, and said, 'It's a not a joke, up there, it's something that happened and is happening and I cannot believe you think its so benign and laughable'. I then said, I'm sorry, I feel strongly on this.'
He ha ha ha'd some more and we left it at that.

222 said...

p.s Thanks for the link.

222 said...

I just read it.
Made me laugh thinking that Mr Smile was one of the few to go to Fukushima for a three day onsen trip.
I asked him, 'so was the ryokan empty?' but he didn't respond.
Re: the buying of food, I, for sure, check that my meat is from the US or OZ, I buy frozen veggies from China, or vegetables from Japan that have been grown south of me (you can check on the label) albeit, I try not to buy any Japanese veggies.
In my classes, students are still eating fish, I ask them, you see, because I see loads of people still buying fish in the supermarkets. This one kid has fish nearly every day, his family don't like meat, and I said, 'whoah, that's dodgy' and he said, 'don't be stupid, it's safe'.
Ah, that long river in Egypt.
Mr Smile was bathing in water that was certainly radioactive. He teaches science and yet he says, 'It was safe where i was, it was up in the mountains'
Has he not heard of fall-out?
It was refreshing to read the article you linked because it made me feel less lonely on this issue.
Yesterday, I used a tissue to remove the two Fukushima cakes that Mr S had given me, and put them in the garbage can, I then went and washed my hands really well.
Can you believe the naivity of fishermen saying, 'people buy their fish, but not ours!'
Yeah, I wonder why, but I also wonder why people are buying any Japanese fish. I give it a very wide berth in the supermarket.

Rhys said...

It's my stealthy attempt to persuade you to like Canada more, Maria, by pointing out we aren't really America's hat at all. More like America's brain.

As for the fish, there's a logic we learned before the Great Lakes were (not entirely) cleaned up from the cesspool they were in the '50s and '60s: Eat only the tiddlers. The bad stuff goes up the food chain and bio-accumulates in the bigger, badder specimens. Sardines, hai. Tuna, iie. Something short-lived like squid, tabun.

Liz said...

I'm confused.
Aren't sardines tiddlerier than Tuna ?
Tiddler must not refer to size ?....but something else?