Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Another Post Where You Are Better Off Taking A Toilet Break.

Well, given a schedule change, I have one class today. That's a lot of time to kill.
On the way to school this morning, I was thinking about what I used to do at my school desk before the advent of the internet.
A random boat

Well, I used to study Japanese on my Word Processor Electric Typewriter thing.
I used to study Kanji.
Bwhahahaha.
I used to transcribe the kanji from a textbook to sheets of heat-sensitive paper.
I learned nothing but I typed a heck of a lot of kanji.
A random temple

So yep, one class at school today, and then half an hour of English Club (if anyone turns up) from 4pm.
A random jailhouse

It's Police Week on the morning streets.
I've figured out this happens once a month.
Each traffic light crossing and road corner has a policeman or policewoman stationed upon it.
They hold thick orange and white sticks and they are never happy to see you, but saying that, the old policeman, who I told my bruised ribs story to a couple of months ago, smiled at me this morning.
I tigresssed, but a few weeks ago, I saw a police officer clip a kid around the ear with the stick for illegally giving his friend a croggy on the back of his bike.
Japanese police are armed, too.

Mornings that are policed suck.
It means that I can't run red lights.
I can't even cross if the light is starting to flicker to warn you that the red light is coming, although I went for it yesterday, right in front of a police officer, crossed on a flicker, and then had him do the 'If you do that again, I will arrest you!' tune on his whistle. I imagined him getting really red in the face blowing on his whistle. He sounded pissed.

I also crossed today, before the final short sharp whistle, that follows the long drawn-out whistle informing you that the light is about to change, so get ready, and then on the short, sharp peep you are allowed to move. However this morning I moved during the long peep because nobody is going to train me to be a fcking dolphin.

So yah, I have also noticed that all the traffic light crossings have recently been changed to do the pedestrian a disfavour.
We now have only a short time within which to cross a road, even though the road light is on red. This is to offer extra protection from cars turning into the road.
We have been using pedestrian crossings for scores of years, we have done a good job at looking to the left or to the right to keep an eye out for turning cars, such cars usually slowing down, stopping and waiting for the person to cross. But not anymore. Nope. We are no longer allowed to use our commonsense at such crossings.

It really sucks, but not for me, because I ignore the new system and if the light is red on the road I am crossing, I shall cross, so fck you new system, I refuse to wait when in the good old days we didn't have to wait, the crossing was our kingdom, our right of way!
See, I told you you'd be better off going to the toilet than reading this post this morning.



5 comments:

northern musings said...

nah still had a giggle.. good try though - traffic lights and your problem with them.. always a laugh for someone that lives in a town with no traffic lights at all...

222 said...

I aim to please.
:)
Wow, that must me nice, having no traffic lights. Saves on energy, too.

Rhys said...

We meaning your fellow Nihonji?

Not with hands like that! Should be pulling a line, you know, on a boat somewhere. Good strong hands, those. Not geisha-like at all, and better for it.

Pseudonym said...

There are those that kanji and those that kantji I guess.

rob said...

More of a pooost eh? :o))