Thursday, September 22, 2011

Crazy But Clean



About two weeks ago, I moved from the little house that I had been living in since 1997, and which was a minute's walk from school, to a spiffy, modern, one-room flat about 30 minute's bike ride away.
It was a most welcome move because since returning to the old house I have been haunted by the recent past. (2008) Being in new digs makes each day a bit easier to cope with. I also have a new bathroom reminiscent of the one in Kyoto 2006, which I am utilising as many times a day as possible. If I couldn't take long soaks in the deep bath, I think I'd go mad - der.
Rent in Japan is usually between $600 and $700 a month for the kind of place I'm living in now but I get a good deal from the school and wind up paying $100 a month with ALL utilities included (electricity/water/internet) It's the best deal in Japan. I may be unlucky in love, but I have always been lucky with rent in Japan. I am the only person I know amongst all my friends who has had such luck with rent. I paid around $700 a month the first 3 years I was here. After that it was free or virtually free. Being able to save the monthly rent is what made it easier for me to save for bigger things, like boats and flats, as one does.

2 comments:

CC said...

Welcome back Ms. Maria - very glad I am!
Nice looking place and as usual delicious looking food.

OceanCruiserWannabe said...

That's a real bargain if ever there was one.

Getting away from the old place was a very good call. New place. New start.