Friday, February 3, 2012

rant alert

I do despair, you know, about how most people aren't thinkers, just self-centred 'me me me'  thoughtless sheeple.

For example, the teacher yesterday, who believes that 'Iran wants the nuclear bomb'.

Or how Japan's disaster last March, which is ongoing, doesn't seem to have filtered into the consciousness of my fellow female teachers, who continue to turn on all the lights in the toilet, even though natural daylight floods in and gives us plenty of light. Plenty of light.

It really pisses me off. Pardon the pun.

I often cause these thoughtless wasters of energy (we have a national policy, by the way, called SETSUDEN, which means, 'stop wasting power!!!! Think about what you need to use!!') when I come out of a toilet stall and scare the life out of them because they didn't expect anybody to be peeing in bright natural light.

No, you need to turn all the fcking lights on.
Hang on, I'm gonna go and count how many lights they turn on each time they go into the bog to pee/brush teeth/reapply make-up.
Be right back.
FIVE FOUR FOOT LONG LIGHTS.
I tell ya, I am, for sure, the most enlightened creature in this school, if not the prefecture.
There is no hope.
Fortunately, most people I hang with in real life outside of work (outside of Japan) aren't thoughtless, selfish kants who can only see as far as the head of their baby or their new car.
Like I said, there is no hope.
The true thinkers on important issues facing the planet, be it the vote they will cast, or how they approach energy usage, are few and far between.
Gah, sheeple really get on my wick.
In my freedom, sheeple can fck off. And fork biters.
Sigh.


By the way, I have told each and every class I teach, that they shouldn't expect their future to be like the blueprint their parent's past was.
That they are living with new issues and challenges.
That energy and how much they use is one of those new issues.
That they are the future and if they really think about it they can be at the forefront of change.
I'm not sure how many kids I get through to but if it's just one, well, that's one less thoughtless kant on the planet.

5 comments:

Rhys said...

Japan has always been short on resources. They have little coal, limited hydro and no oil and the nukes...well...

One might think they would be more, uh, parsimonious with electricity. My Scottish gran, even over in Canada where I sit between a massive nuke plant and Niagara Frigging Falls, inculcated a "lights off" policy when leaving rooms that has firmly stuck. I am constantly turning off lights (or testing LEDs for the boat at home). My tenants seem to be Japanese, leaving the kitchen light on all day with a 2 x 5 foot vast south-facing casement window I installed to provide scorching sunlight for about seven hours a day, 10 in summer.

Well, their rent is going up on the first day I legally can raise it. I will inform them precisely why. My electrical bills have more than doubled (yes, they leave the giant Apple 'puter on 24/7, as well). I am beginning to think I should have paid to have separate metering for their flat.

I know it's weak stuff to be a bitching landlord, but left to our own devices, we live lighter than most from habit and conviction, not just the cheapo Scottish genes (on both sides, aye).

It's a good thing to bring aboard a boat.

222 said...

I concur with all the above, r.
My grampy would unplug everything at night.

I have the same issue with electricity usage with my flat in South Africa.
I'm wondering whether to not go for the 10% increase in rent and instead have the leasee pay for the electric they use.
I hate the thought of them leaving stuff on just cos they aren't paying for it.

Thank goodness Water World is full of people who actually think about things like this.
I can't stand the mob mentality of bigger is better, new cars are better, and so on.

Aaa said...

Yep, never got why lights need to be turned on when there is perfectly good sunlight coming though the window. All those fluorescent lights are fucking depressing and do my head in.

222 said...

I concur with you, too, Momo.
In the teachers' room, if I arrive first, I leave them off.
Then the next teacher arrives and is SHOCKED that I don't have the lights on, 'it's bad for your eyes', like yeah, right, this bright natural light is bad for my eyes.
There is no hope.
These are role models for the little children.

Rhys said...

LEDs are getting better and certainly cheaper. It's a good development for the boating world. Imagine leaving your anchor light on all night (as one is required to do most places), and the last digit in the voltmeter hasn't budged in eight hours?

Luxury. (may have been one of my Latin puns and/or Monty Python reference).