I know, I know, it's a bit early, but I was having a crappy dream, which reminds me suddenly of the time I messed my bed.
It was very weird.
Very, very weird.
I was sleeping in my flat in South Africa.

I woke up and my sheets were soiled. (I now use those sheets on the guest bed only)
I was horrified and mortified.
I had never done this before, as I certainly don't suffer from a weak asshole, which I proved yesterday by jumping up and down on the bed whilst retaining. I did this for the ACER promotional video, which didn't download in the end. Poo hoo.

I'm tigressing, but long story short, that night, the husband of my neighbor, who lives above my flat, died.
He died from a spider bite that had happened a few days before.
It was very sudden and unexpected and involved a lot of what had just happened to me in my bed.
It was as if I had mimicked him in his death throes.
Like I said, weird.
But I tigressed too much.

It's time to educate one of my readers on molasses.
It's the 'anon', who only writes in lower-case and can't punctuate.
Here was her message under my post about looking forward to skiing and how the molasses I had quaffed on Friday at school had given me a 'high'.
Sigh.
Not.
You da fool.
Molasses is a by-product of sugar after all the crappy sugar in it has been refined, such refined sugar then ends up in your soft drink of choice.

The thick, sticky leftovers are instead full of essential minerals and vitamins, including potassium and magnesium, known to help alleviate depression.
I get the good stuff, you get the poison. Seems fitting, if you ask me.
Therefore, the 'sugar high' you talk of does not exist in molasses.
The sugar at that point has left the building.

Molasses also contains uridine, which has been found to ease the toxic effects of chemotherapy and may help prevent cellular damage and liver dysfunction associated with other medications.
Let me tigress slightly here. As if I haven't already!
Isn't the Internet a blessing when it comes to being able to learn more about how to stay healthy and/or understand any serious health condition one might have.
If the Internet had not been around in 2003, I would have had a complete hysterectomy there and then.
Uh.
Instead I did hours and hours of research in the library in Stratford-Upon-Avon
Which resulted in being able to discuss my condition with the surgeon, and how I thought it was a tad radical to be whipping it all out when nobody quite knew how serious it was yet.
The surgeon concurred,
'Fair enough. We only wanted to do the full hysterectomy so that we wouldn't have to do two operations on you if we found anything worrying in the histology report on your other ovary. Operations drain the NHS of its funds.'
Yeah, whatever, but big phew, I got to wake up with my hormone-producing tackle intact.
It turned out that the other ovary was fine but I had to wait 10 days to find out.
That was a long 10 days.
Thank you Internet for being there so that I could go to forums regarding the condition and hunt and gather other peoples experiences and opinions and then make my own well-researched decision.
Oops, I tigressed.
Here are some interesting facts about molasses.
Did you know that molasses is mostly sent off to be used in livestock feed.
I mean, think about it, cowboy, I do, there's A LOT of sugar refining going on in the world each and every day. Which means there's a lot of molasses to get rid of.
It's a bit sweet, pardon the pun, to be giving the good stuff to the cattle, and the bad stuff to us, but hey ho, that's Food Terrorism for you.

Did you also know that in 1919, in Boston, there was a Molasses Tsunami, 13 feet high.
14,000 tonnes of thick syrup rolled down the street, eventually killing 21 and injuring 150.

It was very weird.
Very, very weird.
I was sleeping in my flat in South Africa.

I woke up and my sheets were soiled. (I now use those sheets on the guest bed only)
I was horrified and mortified.
I had never done this before, as I certainly don't suffer from a weak asshole, which I proved yesterday by jumping up and down on the bed whilst retaining. I did this for the ACER promotional video, which didn't download in the end. Poo hoo.

I'm tigressing, but long story short, that night, the husband of my neighbor, who lives above my flat, died.
He died from a spider bite that had happened a few days before.
It was very sudden and unexpected and involved a lot of what had just happened to me in my bed.
It was as if I had mimicked him in his death throes.
Like I said, weird.
But I tigressed too much.

It's time to educate one of my readers on molasses.
It's the 'anon', who only writes in lower-case and can't punctuate.
Here was her message under my post about looking forward to skiing and how the molasses I had quaffed on Friday at school had given me a 'high'.
its just a sugar high you fool'You fool'?
Sigh.
Not.
You da fool.
Molasses is a by-product of sugar after all the crappy sugar in it has been refined, such refined sugar then ends up in your soft drink of choice.
The thick, sticky leftovers are instead full of essential minerals and vitamins, including potassium and magnesium, known to help alleviate depression.
I get the good stuff, you get the poison. Seems fitting, if you ask me.
Therefore, the 'sugar high' you talk of does not exist in molasses.
The sugar at that point has left the building.
Molasses also contains uridine, which has been found to ease the toxic effects of chemotherapy and may help prevent cellular damage and liver dysfunction associated with other medications.
Let me tigress slightly here. As if I haven't already!
Isn't the Internet a blessing when it comes to being able to learn more about how to stay healthy and/or understand any serious health condition one might have.
If the Internet had not been around in 2003, I would have had a complete hysterectomy there and then.
Uh.
Instead I did hours and hours of research in the library in Stratford-Upon-Avon
| Library doors I have walked through and a chav on a bench |
The surgeon concurred,
'Fair enough. We only wanted to do the full hysterectomy so that we wouldn't have to do two operations on you if we found anything worrying in the histology report on your other ovary. Operations drain the NHS of its funds.'
Yeah, whatever, but big phew, I got to wake up with my hormone-producing tackle intact.
It turned out that the other ovary was fine but I had to wait 10 days to find out.
That was a long 10 days.
Thank you Internet for being there so that I could go to forums regarding the condition and hunt and gather other peoples experiences and opinions and then make my own well-researched decision.
Oops, I tigressed.
Here are some interesting facts about molasses.
Did you know that molasses is mostly sent off to be used in livestock feed.
I mean, think about it, cowboy, I do, there's A LOT of sugar refining going on in the world each and every day. Which means there's a lot of molasses to get rid of.
It's a bit sweet, pardon the pun, to be giving the good stuff to the cattle, and the bad stuff to us, but hey ho, that's Food Terrorism for you.

Did you also know that in 1919, in Boston, there was a Molasses Tsunami, 13 feet high.
14,000 tonnes of thick syrup rolled down the street, eventually killing 21 and injuring 150.
18 comments:
Surely one could shuffle out of the way?
Actually, that's a pretty horrible death.
Vaguely interesting factoid: In 1917, the largest non-nuclear explosion ever, or so I've been told, happened in Halifax harbour when two wanchor-skippered munitions ships collided and caught fire. About 2,000 people were killed and more were cut up and blinded. Most of the city was flattened like wot Hiroshima was. Then, it being Christmas, the blizzard hit.
The facts of what the explosion did are astounding. The hull of a giant freighter was chucked 300 metres into the air. The bottom of the harbour was visible because the water therein evaporated. It was heard hundreds of miles away. Basically, think "modest comet hits planet".
The good people of Boston started shipping aid north to where the tracks were all bendy, thus keeping the post-blast death toll (wounds, hunger, thirst, exposure) considerably less than it might have been.
Halifax sent Boston a gigantic Christmas tree gratis the next year and still does to this day.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halifax_explosion
"In 1918, Halifax sent a Christmas tree to the City of Boston in thanks and remembrance for the help that the Boston Red Cross and the Massachusetts Public Safety Committee provided immediately after the disaster.[73] That gift was revived in 1971 by the Lunenburg County Christmas Tree Producers Association, who began an annual donation of a large tree to promote Christmas tree exports as well as acknowledge the Boston support after the explosion. The gift was later taken over by the Nova Scotia Government to continue the goodwill gesture as well as to promote trade and tourism.[74] The tree is Boston's official Christmas tree and is lit on Boston Common throughout the holiday season. Knowing its symbolic importance to both cities, the Nova Scotia Department of Natural Resources has specific guidelines for selecting the tree.[75] Besides the annual Christmas Tree donation, a notable proportion of Nova Scotians (and Haligonians in particular) identify as supporters of Boston's major professional sports league teams, a loyalty which is often traced to the relief effort of 1917."
It's still remembered quite well here in Canada. There's still a couple of survivors alive from it, I believe.
Also, why show Anon what buttons to push and their exact location?
Victory over such people consists of toasting their fate on the aft deck with a nice sundowner while idly scratching one's bits after a hard day of fuck-all. CHEERS!
r
That's a really interesting story. Thanks for sharing it.
Re: anon.
I couldn't care less. Indeed, had it not been for anon, I wouldn't have thought to write more on molasses, I wouldn't have known about the Molasses Tsunami in Boston, and I wouldn't have known about the world's biggest non-nuke explosion.
There is a silver lining to every dark cloud that drifts into my blog.
I have too much going for me to be bothered by anons.
It's fun putting them in their place.
They usually aren't too bright.
Ooh ooh. Anon is here.
Right now.
Reading this.
Sends shivers down my blogspine.
Molasses is in horse feed too. I have actually taken it and poured it over Denali's grain just to cover up the medication.
Anyways...
Lucky Denali!
:)
Love your horse's name.
Wow, there's way more to molasses than I ever imagined!
Bizarre about your bed accident, maybe you were bitten too but all the venom was already in the bloke upstairs and you just got enough to lose control of you bowels??
Now I'm gonna have nightmares, Corrine.
;)
Ah molasses! Fool indeed. My grandmother brought me up on that lovely stuff. She always kept a stock of it in her pantry and we ate it at least a few times a week; I especially remember the heavenly taste of her home-baked bread with molasses spread on top. She was a smart woman!
And I read with great interest about Rhys' comment on the Halifax explosion. I lived there for much of my childhood and learned about that tragic event in school. I often visited a park where part of the anchor from one of the ships came to rest after being flung through the air a little over three kilometers from the explosion site.
Sorry for not commenting recently, had an extra long break from my lap top over the holidays. Always enjoy reading your posts no matter what the subject. And I'm glad you are figuring things out about your retirement plans. It's actually made me consider such things as well. I would love nothing more than to retire early as you are planning to do.
Nancy
Nice to see you and it's wonderful that you manage to stay away from the computer, believe me.
;)
It's also interesting to read about your experience with the Halifax explosion.
I'm lucky to have the readership I have, how they share things with me.
It's always a learning process, which is what blogging should be about quite frankly, not just a 'blah blah I did this today' monologue.
Molasses. I wish I'd bought a bottle sooner but I didn't see any until the other day at the international store in the Big City, which I have stupidly avoided because of inner demons.
;)
Happy New Year, by the way.
:)
Happy New Year to you too! I know you're going to have a fantastic 2012 and beyond... I can just sense it. Taking control of things on your own is the key I believe.
Wow Rhys, very interesting. Thanks for posting that.
I think I'll start up on the molasses again. I used to do it awhile back. The bed accident story is bizarre.
Incontinence-at-a-distance. Now I have heard it all. Or have I just heard "the brown note"?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_note
And that's all I want to say about surprise shitting on a Saturday night.
Damn! I learn so much cool stuff on your blog, Maria. This is probably old news to erudite, epicurean world travelers like yourself, but I was shocked.... http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2007/08/13/070813fa_fact_mueller and... http://www.extravirginity.com/
Sh*t! I just scan read your post and understood it to mean that your bed problem had caused the disaster in the last photo! Sh*t now I`m dissapointed :o))I really must stop doung that! Hmmmm :o((
I guess there will be another disaster soon as they will have even more to get rid of by now? :o))
The Brown Note, I love it!
Good reminder about Molasses.
Post a Comment