Saturday, January 28, 2012

i want to be a billionaire and travel around the world (reminder for later post)


7:32AM
I've just finished preparing my first stab at making a curry with avocado.

Like I usually do, I took ideas from other recipes and then made some (loads of) changes according to the devil voices in my head.
I could have followed this recipe word for word http://www.ourveggiekitchen.com/2010/08/avocado-curry.html or this one http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3235/thai-green-chicken-curry or this one http://www.sashinka.com/recipes/thai_curry.html but I didn't.
Instead I did this.
Nails by Salon Distressed

I blended 1 avocado, 10 fl oz of coconut milk, 3/4 of a sachet of Thai Green Curry Paste, and where I differed to the recipe, I omitted the soy sauce and instead added a huge bunch of fresh basil.
It's awesome that I can get huge bags of fresh basil for only 100 yen. (I wait till they wind up on the bargain shelf. They usually cost 198 yen, which is still a good deal)

OMG, I tried some 'as is' and it was to die for, even though I don't want to die young, which is how I explained to a class yesterday why I was retiring relatively young, that my mother had died young (42), my maternal grandmother had died young (45) and I didn't want to take the risk, stay in work, not see the world, and die young anyway.
Super yummy
No fcking way.
The look on some of the kids faces was wonderful to see.
I saw them 'get it'.
I saw in their faces a moment they will never forget.
I left my mark on a part of their brain and they might think about life a bit differently because of it.
They might knock on the head the usual default response to life - that it's going to be from 0 till around 80, no doubt about it.
I'm tigressing.
Freshly ground coriander seeds

I had par-boiled some baby potatoes I'd got on special (70 yen for a bag) even though I don't use potatoes that much in my cooking, and then stir-fried them, along with about 4 cloves of sliced garlic, in the leftover curry paste.

I added the 'roux', sliced up another avodado, tossed that in, and then decided to use the ground pork I bought at half price the other day (and then froze),

by making little pork balls to which I added some chopped fresh coriander and ground coriander. It's an experiment.

I then added them to the curry, put the lid on the pot, and turned the heat down to low.
By the way, I added about 3 cups of water to the 'roux' to thin it out because I'm a thrifty kant, but for a thicker curry, just add one cup, or whatever tickles your fancy.
Towards the end of cooking, I will add the green beans and some florets of broccoli, frozen veg from Thailand, as I avoid buying Japanese fresh produce where I can.

3 comments:

Rhys said...

Looks delish.

When you trot out your life philosophies to these kids, is it in English, Japanese or a combination?

I'm trying to figure out whether they can listen but barely speak in English, or if you switch back and forth as most second-language teachers do.

Polkadot said...

It's in both. First Japanese, then English. The important things, at least.

Rhys said...

Hai! Domo arigato, etc.