They are springing up all over the place. Big new buildings, with a hint of purple, called TEAR.
I pass two on the way to school.

I kinda guessed it already - 'tear' and the fact that there are lots of people lining up to die in Japan - but today I got it confirmed that TEAR is a new undertaking outfit on the commercial funeral scene.

I therefore taught loads of kids what TEAR meant today cos we were studying different currencies and I told them that you can't 'tear' Australian bills because they are made of plastic, and that another meaning for 'tear' was 'namida', and that they probably cycled past this business on the way to school, which most of them do.

They were like, 'Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! That's what it means!'
I pass two on the way to school.
I kinda guessed it already - 'tear' and the fact that there are lots of people lining up to die in Japan - but today I got it confirmed that TEAR is a new undertaking outfit on the commercial funeral scene.
I therefore taught loads of kids what TEAR meant today cos we were studying different currencies and I told them that you can't 'tear' Australian bills because they are made of plastic, and that another meaning for 'tear' was 'namida', and that they probably cycled past this business on the way to school, which most of them do.

They were like, 'Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! That's what it means!'
6 comments:
Please explain to me why a Japanese company in Japan would have as its corporate name an English word that very few people in Japan would understand, and which is also a homonym of confusion even for English speakers?
fuck off rhys and get a life - you are really starting to get on my nerves now
Rhys, I was thinking the same thing. I thought it was tear as in the kind that are shed when a loved one dies.
Or not shed when Anons. keep their rude comments to themselves.
I deleted anon's comment because this readership isn't usually a nasty readership - I suspect this reader has Yahoo-itus - but if he/she wants to reflect his/her rotten side, be my guest.
Comment away.
Judith
It is funny how they chose TEAR as the company name. I reckon 90% of Japanese have no idea what it means, but it's plastered all over these buildings, and they are popping up everywhere.
The look on the kids faces when they realised what it meant was so great.
I said, 'Now you be sure to tell everyone you know, you hear me, especially kids from that school who think they are better than us.'
LOL.
By the way, anon is Canadian.
You'd think he/she would have bonded with a fellow Canuck.
No, when we aren't hating Americans, we hate each other. It's enough to drive one offshore.
Here, let me embrace the weak bile: I live in Toronto, Anon. I was born here, and I like it.
Powers of aneurysm-inducing, invoke!
Post a Comment