Saturday, November 19, 2011

Rained In

I just figured, having received an email from SA this morning, that even without my savings and pieces of 8, plus the collateral that comes with owning two flats, I'm pretty much sorted.
Ha ha. The radio just said, 'enough to live on'.

The flat in SA, which is super easy to rent out, given its location location location, brings in nearly 500 bucks a month.
I could easily live off that, easily, indeed, when I was in Mexico, I spent, on average, $250 a month on food and refreshing beverages.

The best thing I ever did was spin that globe in class and have my finger land on South Africa.
On my 5th day there, I plonked down 1200 dollars as a deposit, and then went off on a 3 week over landing trip, wondering if I'd just been had, and trying to understand why my stomach had ballooned to the size of a woman's tummy who is in her final month of pregnancy.
Moving on, it was the best decision I ever made.

I think I'd have gone crazy having to be tied to a mortgage and debt till my 60's.
Uh, the misery over in the F.UK these days. Folks my age caught up in the debt trap.
Ha ha, the radio just said, 'escape the UK'.
It's funny how being a super loser - teaching English is not held in high esteem; it's the job for people who have no skill or knowledge to make it in the real world of jobs - well, it's funny how being a person of average intelligence and absolutely zero professional skills whatsoever, stumbled upon financial freedom via a flippant spin of a globe.
Yep, that flat on Whale Rock is my rock, I reckon.


7 comments:

Rhys said...

Post the flat's co-ordinates so I can see in in Google Earth, please. That whole area looks a little exposed for the purposes of anchoring out.

222 said...

It's totally exposed.
Those waves that pound the rocks in front of the flat, shake the bed rock, making the water in my bath ripple. It's quite a trip.
However, there is a marina in Hermanus, a small yacht club.

222 said...

34°25'13"S and 19°15'00"E

ROICS said...

Ah yes, Hermanus. Infamous for the wrecking of HMS Birkenhead supposed origin of 'women and children first'. Not a good place to anchor.

My eyePad has a strange tendency to correct spellings. It almost put 'her anus' instead of hermanus there!

Is there a Starbucks in Hermanus? Could be a funny yet pertinent eyePad question for Maria

Had many good times in Hermanus escaping from the tedium of Bredasdorp some years ago

222 said...

How interesting. Bredasdorp. Where the shipwreck museum is. Starbucks? My eyes burn up when I see that place. I don't think so, I hope not.
Interesting anecdote about the HMS Birkenhead and Hermanus.

Yes, Hermanus is a pretty town, albeit it has even changed since I bought my flat there in 2003. Old buildings down - sigh - new buildings up, and so on.
I love it there.
It is a shame that my flat is so popular. I was hoping the current tenant wanted to vacate the premises after his contract was up this coming Feb, so that I could go and stay there, but then again, I guess I could use the fruits that come from such rent, to rent a place instead, if I pop back for a month or so.

Rhys said...

Cheers, Maria...ooh, Google Earth is most informative...ouch.

That's a boat-eating coastline.

Maybe I would just take a bus from Cape Town.

Oh well, nothing I have to worry about for some time, at least. Beautiful view you have, however.

222 said...

It's lovely there. Sunrises are out of this world. I love sitting on the bench down near the rocks, with an Amarula, at any time of the day.
I wish the tenant wanted to vacate next year,...he he he...I want to use the flat.