Thursday, October 27, 2011

Chew On This, Sheeple



Gaddafi’s Death: Celebrating Murder While Ushering in Civil War

By Orwellwasright's WeblogThe Media’s Deathgasm
October 26, 2011 "Information Clearing House" -- It’s official: capturing someone alive and quickly executing them, then parading the corpse around on TV 24 hours is “a good thing”. It’s hard to know who the winner was, but the BBC, ITV, Sky and a number of other channels have gone all out the last few days to prove who’s the best at gloating over the murder of Gaddafi (after he was dragged through the streets and sodomized with a knife). Following the alleged “death” of bin Laden and the drone strike which killed Anwar al-Awlaki, and the many other victims of the West’s extrajudicial killings (a tactic increasingly in favour as the “War of Terror” rolls into its eleventh year) it should come as little surprise to people when, once again, the nations which claim to be the strictest adherents to the rule of law bend the rules to the point of breaking when it comes to justifying their own killings.
To be fair to those members of the public who are celebrating the death of Gaddafi, many of them have a dire understanding both of the current situation in Libya and the historical context of the Gaddafi regime. Gaddafi – like Saddam, Milosovic, Ahmadinejad and countless others before him – has been overblown as the greatest threat to humanity since (you guessed it) Hitler, a comparison which has become so overworn and debased through constant hyperbole as to become almost meaningless. It’s a routine response from those who defend the West for their crimes against humanity – we may well have killed over a million Iraqis since 2003 (not to mention the 100,000s of children who died as a direct consequence of the pre-invasion UN sanctions) but that doesn’t require any condemnation. After all, we’re the “civilized nations” who are helping to “rebuild” the backwards lands of Africa, the Middle East, and wherever else we see fit to bestow the benefits of “freedom and democracy”. Any deaths that come as a consequence of our noble mission is “utterly regrettable”; the wasteland and degradation we leave behind “good intentions gone awry”.
Gaddafi’s Rule: The Facts They Omit
One of the perennial myths about the 42 year Gaddafi regime is that it was utterly brutal and repressive – all lived in fear of disappearing into his torture dungeons or being executed while poverty and despair were the facts of daily life. Muhammad min Libya (a pseudonym), writing in the Guardian echoes this, stating, “Many Libyan citizens stood in a long line to take a final look at the man who inflected harm upon each and every one of us through four decades of his dictatorship.” An examination of the facts, however, presents a very different picture.
In 2009, Libya sat at the top of the table for Africa on the Human Development Index. According to the United Nation’s Food and Agriculture Organization, Libya “has made strides in public health and, since 1980, child mortality rates have dropped from 70 per thousand live births to 19 in 2009. Life expectancy has risen from 61 to 74 years of age during the same span of years.” Here are some statistics from the World Health Organizationin the same year:
Total life expectancy at birth (years)                      72.3
Male life expectancy at birth (years)                       70.2
Female life expectancy at birth (years)                  74.9
Newborns with low birth weight (%)                         4.0
Children underweight (%)                                              4.8
Perinatal mortality rate per 1000 total births      19
Neonatal mortality rate                                                  11.0
Infant mortality rate (per 1000 live births)           14.0
Under five mortality rate (per 1000 live births)  20.1
Maternal mortality ratio (per 10000 live births) 23

The WHO has described Libya’s public health care prior to Operation Odyssey Dawn in the following terms: “Health care is available to all citizens free of charge by the public sector. The country boasts the highest literacy and educational enrollment rates in North Africa. The Government is substantially increasing the development budget for health services…” Similarly, UNESCO’s Institute for Statistics demonstrates a high literacy rate of 89% (99% for the youth), a primary school enrollment rate of 97%, while according to the World Bank, “In a relative short period of time, Libya achieved universal access for primary education, with 98% gross enrollment for secondary, and 46% for tertiary education. In the past decade, girls’ enrollment increased by 12% in all levels of education.”
None of the above squares with the idea perpetuated by politicians and the media that Gaddafi had no support in Libya. Indeed, footage of a pro-Gaddafi march held after the NATO bombing had already begun suggests the exact opposite – over 1.5 million people – out of a population of approximately 6 million – took to the streets. Their voices were ignored by the Western press:

11 comments:

Pseudonym said...

Yeah, Cuba has an excellent health system as well.

http://www.hrw.org/news/2011/10/20/qaddafi-files
http://www.hrw.org/news/2011/03/13/libya-end-violent-crackdown-tripoli
http://www.hrw.org/news/2011/02/24/libya-oust-tyrant
http://www.hrw.org/news/2011/02/17/libya-security-forces-fire-day-anger-demonstrations

I know, I know, Human Rights Watch is merely an organ of the "New World Order" and they just make stuff up.

For a bit of balance, they even take a proper swipe at the US and the UK - Our governments, cosied up to Gadaffi don't forget, they were bestest buddies with our own security services.
No doubt they were trying to learn how to be benevolent and caring?
Maybe it was just that Libya was a handy place to torture people...

http://www.hrw.org/news/2011/09/08/secret-intelligence-documents-discovered-libya

Gadaffi was no Hitler (Do people have to be as bad as Hitler before we can be glad they're dead?), but he was a bastard. When he didn't flee into exile, he was going to die in Libya, as it happened it saved months of war. In which the other Libyans, the one's ICH don't seem fussed about, would have died.

The manner of his death was appalling, but no worse than he'd meted out himself.

Now, with a bit of luck, the Libyans can come up with something better.

222 said...

We can never ever meet. Ever. You would really annoy me.

Pseudonym said...

:D You'd love it, you'd call me a sheep, I'd baa. It'd be great.

More from Amnesty (from 2004, when everything in Libya was joyful and gay):-
http://www.amnesty.org.uk/news_details.asp?NewsID=15327

-----
"Amnesty International's findings include:

- laws that criminalise the peaceful exercise of freedom of expression and association, leading to the imprisonment of prisoners of conscience
- prolonged detention without access to the outside world, which facilitates torture
- unfair trials, in particular before the People's Court which tries political cases
- torture and ill-treatment, which continue to be widely reported, its main use being to extract 'confessions' "

"Past policies and events constituting grave human rights violations continue to cast a shadow on Libya's human rights record. They include:

- a policy of "physical liquidation" of political opponents during the 1980s;
- numerous deaths in custody without adequate explanation;
- the "disappearance" of political prisoners, especially since 1996; and
- the "disappearance" of Libyan nationals abroad and foreign nationals visiting Libya."
-----

Sorry, I just think you've picked a poor champion here.

222 said...

Does this mean we can invade the US to, for all their past crimes.

Nope, all the above, if true, still doesn't make it okay to have raped that country and brought it to its knees.

Just you wait and see.
Libya is going to the dogs.
Because it was so easy to do.
Libya was a naughty word.
We'd been groomed to allow this to happen.
You fell for the grooming.
I didn't.
I despair for the future of Libya.
Just like I cry over Iraq.

I am thankful that I have friends who groom themselves, otherwise I would go stark raving bonkers.

Each to our own, and thank god I know I can sit down with some people, not many, but phew, they exist, who see the light and beyond.

Yeah, just you wait and see.
Libya is fucked.

222 said...

By the way, Amnesty International wrote a similar speel about Japan.

Pseudonym said...

>Does this mean we can invade the US
>to, for all their past crimes.
Sure, when the people rise up against their government and call for help.

Dunno where we'd get enough guns though.

>Just you wait and see.
>Libya is going to the dogs.
Well, it's just come from the dogs, but there's a chance now.

You may yet be right, some of the rebels activities haven't exactly been encouraging.

222 said...

We always disagree and always will.
I have met hundreds of people like you. Ergo, it's not surprising they turn up in this blog.
I am not surprised, you comment,so I am aware, but there are others reading this blog who agree with you, who I don't agree with, but you get my vitriol because you comment, and I totally disagree with you, and always will. Your opinions are common and I can even decipher them in braille.

222 said...

p.s I am right. You think that the bastard Rothschilds are gonna let nice Libyans rule the roost. No way. Poor, poor Libya.

Pseudonym said...

I don't mind a bit of vitriol. ;)

I'm also sometimes wrong too - hard to imagine I know, but it does happen.

The Rothschilds? Are we on the New World Order conspiracy or the Zionist one? ;)

I know what you mean though, and I do hope foreign governments resist the urge to meddle in the formation of the new Libya.

222 said...

Um, Soody, obviously you don't read the articles I post. Libya used to have its own bank. The people could take out interest-free loans. Libya had no debt. Now Libya's bank rots and in its place is a Rothschild bank. It is a fact, it isn't a Zionist rumor or a NWO thing, it's just a fact, so I guess it's a combination of Z and NWO, or just pure evil about to fck with what used to be a tried and tested system that kept the people and Libya out of debt. Read what I post and you might be able to comment like a non-sheeple for once.

Pseudonym said...

Islamic banks don't charge interest, they charge a fixed fee instead. I have to agree that it's a more honest approach but it requires fixed terms and proper enforcement.

How do you know you're not the sheep BTW?

It's a smaller flock, but still a flock.